Using misleading statistics, he promoted himself as having performed an armaments miracle that was widely credited with keeping Germany in the war. [179], Little remains of Speer's personal architectural works, other than the plans and photographs. Sereny gained respect for his sincerity in his personal "battle with truth.". [43] The Schutzstaffel (SS) built two concentration camps in 1938 and used the inmates to quarry stone for its construction. Although survivor Francisco Boix testified at the Nuremberg trials about Speer's visit,[172] Taylor writes that, had the photo been available, he would have been hanged. Those who feigned illness, slacked off, sabotaged production or tried to escape were denied food or sent to concentration camps. [167] Brechtken wrote that his most brazen lie was fabricated during an interview with a French journalist in 1952. . He took a role in that short-lived regime as Minister of Industry and Production. [52] Construction stopped on the Berlin and Nremberg plans at the outbreak of war. For the record, Ernst Speer is discussed at p. 336 in Beevor's "Stalingrad" (Penguin 2007), The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section, Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic, Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general, Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general, German Strategy & General German Military Discussion, NSDAP, other party organizations & Government, The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section, The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section, Panzer & other vehicles - Photo threads, Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items, The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45, The Allies and the Neutral States in general, German Colonies and Overseas Expeditions, The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923, Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier. It will begin in Norway and extend to northern Italy. [50] In his final statement at Nuremberg, Speer gave the impression of apologizing, although he did not directly admit any personal guilt and the only victim he mentioned was the German people. While they were there his friend, Nazi Party official Karl Hanke recommended the young architect to Joseph Goebbels to help renovate the Party's Berlin headquarters. They paid for Toni Proost to go on holiday, and for bribes to those who might be able to secure Speer's release. I knew that these must be Berlin Jews who were being evacuated. A dramatization of the life of Albert Speer (Rutger Hauer), Adolf Hitler's (Sir Derek Jacobi's) young architect and one-time confidant, and his meteoric rise into the Nazi hierarchy. [40] Speer was involved virtually from the beginning. The task force was established by 1 March 1944, orders of Speer, with support from Erhard Milch of the Reich Aviation Ministry. - London, 1. rujna 1981.) [14] The couple would have six children together, but Albert Speer grew increasingly distant from his family after 1933. [102][103] Hitler rejected Speer's proposal to cease demolitions. He was more forthright in an interview with William Hamsher in which he said he joined the party in order to save "Germany from Communism". Speer has paid his penance for his part of the inner circle and had come to the realization of Germany's reality during WWII. An architect by training, Speer joined the Nazi Party in 1931. [95], Losses of territory and a dramatic expansion of the Allied strategic bombing campaign caused the collapse of the German economy from late 1944. These factories were death-traps; discipline was brutal, with regular executions. The myth began to fall apart in the 1980s, when the armaments miracle was attributed to Nazi propaganda. [147], Speer made himself widely available to historians and other enquirers. [77] By July 1943, he had gained control of armaments production for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. After he failed to do so, his father gave him a part-time job as manager of his properties. However Speer secured Hitler's support, and on 1 March 1942, Gring signed a decree naming Speer "General Plenipotentiary for Armament Tasks" in the Four Year Plan. Speer was able to have his writings sent to Wolters, however, and they eventually amounted to 20,000 pages. William. [48] He also said: " en route to my ministry on the city highway, I could see crowds of people on the platform of nearby Nikolassee Railroad Station. Albert Speer, nemki arhitekt in politik, * 19. marec 1905, Mannheim, 1. september 1981, London, Zdrueno kraljestvo . Speer first heard Adolf Hitler speak during an address to the combined students and faculty of Berlin University and his institute. Albert Speer (1905-1981) was a trained architect. Of the 60,000 people who ended up at the camp 20,000 died, due to the appalling conditions. [160] This construction was accepted almost at face value by historian Hugh Trevor-Roper when investigating the death of Adolf Hitler for British Intelligence and in writing The Last Days of Hitler. [80], In December 1943, Speer visited Organisation Todt workers in Lapland, while there he seriously damaged his knee and was incapacitated for several months. He continued to deny explicit knowledge of, and responsibility for the Holocaust. [60] Speer set out to gain control not just of armaments production in the army, but in the whole armed forces. Stars Laurence Olivier Averell Harriman Albert Speer See production, box office & company info Search on Amazon search for Blu-ray and DVD Add to Watchlist 120 User reviews 5 Critic reviews Top rated TV #14 It began in 1932 but had not supplied any weaponry. [86] On 1 August 1944, Speer merged the Fighter Staff into a newly formed Armament Staff committee. I'd like to know more about his life; all I know is that he was inside Stalingrad's. Initially, the funds were used only to support Speer's family, but increasingly the money was used for other purposes. I am sure that an oppressive feeling struck me as I drove past. [44] The chancellery was completed in early January 1939. She married Prince Albert who was her cousin. Albert Speer (n.Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer, 19 martie 1905 d. 1 septembrie 1981) a fost un arhitect german care a fost, pentru o parte din al Doilea Rzboi Mondial, ministrul al narmrii i produciei de rzboi pentru al Treilea Reich.Speer a fost arhitectul preferat al lui Adolf Hitler, nainte de a ocupa posturi ministeriale.i-a asumat responsabilitatea pentru crimele . [21] As Chancellor, Hitler had a residence in the building and came by every day to be briefed by Speer and the building supervisor on the progress of the renovations. Little remains of his personal architectural work. [117], Speer was found guilty of war crimes and crimes against humanity, principally for the use of slave labor and forced labor. [125] He had completed his memoirs by November 1953, which became the basis of Inside the Third Reich. Carefully measuring distance travelled each day, he mapped distances to the real-world geography. Albert Speer (fdt Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer den 19. marts 1905 i Mannheim, dd 1. september 1981 i London) var en tysk arkitekt, der under 2. verdenskrig var rustningsminister (Reichsminister fr Bewaffnung und Munition) i Nazi-Tyskland.Lnge inden ministerudnvnelsen havde Speer vret Adolf Hitlers foretrukne arkitekt.. Speer blev medlem af nazistpartiet i 1931. [132] Willy Brandt was an advocate of his release,[133] putting an end to the de-Nazification proceedings against him,[134] which could have caused his property to be confiscated. In this capacity he was responsible for the Central Department for Resettlement that evicted Jewish tenants from their homes in Berlin. Instead, he issued the "Nero Decree" on 19 March, which called for the destruction of all infrastructure as the army retreated. It was only on the urgent advice of his publisher that he added a mention of seeing the ruins of the Central Synagogue in Berlin from his car. He coveted control of the production of armaments for the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine as well. Berthold Konrad Hermann Albert Speer, commonly known as Albert Speer (March 19, 1905 - September 1, 1981), was an architect, author and high-ranking Nazi German government official, sometimes called "the first architect of the Third Reich ." [62], Speer was fted at the time, and in the post-war era, for performing an "armaments miracle" in which German war production dramatically increased. On 27 January 1938, Speer received plenipotentiary powers from Hitler to finish the new chancellery by 1 January 1939. His formal title was changed on 2 September 1943, to "Reich Minister for Armaments and War Production". Hitler appointed Speer, whose work for Goebbels had impressed him, to manage the building site for Troost. [81], In response to the Allied Big Week, Adolf Hitler authorized the creation of a Fighter Staff committee. If Speer, who had been so close to Hitler, had not known the full extent of the crimes of the Nazi regime and had just been "following orders", then they could tell themselves and others they too had done the same. Albert Speer, Germany Architect. [92] The rockets were built at an underground factory at Mittelwerk. [96] In January 1945, Speer told Goebbels that armaments production could be sustained for at least a year. [67] With Hitler's full agreement, he decided to prioritize tank production, and he was given unrivaled power to ensure success. [30] Nuremberg was the site of many official Nazi buildings. After joining the Nazi Party in 1930, Speer became Adolf Hitler's personal architect. His first draft was written from March 1953 to 26 December 1954. [130] Speer also read, studied architectural journals, and brushed up on English and French. Albert Speer, the Nazi architect who built a Cathedral of Light for Hitler and commanded millions of prisoners in the forced production of weaponry, had a comfortable second life. by punktlich02 29 Oct 2009, 11:35, Return to The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section. This led to a significant German Army failure at the Battle of Prokhorovka, a major turning point on the Eastern Front against the Soviet Red Army. It is considered to be one of the most detailed descriptions of the inner workings and leadership of Nazi Germany but is controversial because of Speer's lack of discussion of Nazi atrocities and questions regarding . This movie is based on Speer's autobiography of the same name. Concerned about retaining power, he did not appoint a deputy and continued to direct work of the Armaments Ministry from his bedside. An upcoming BBC documentary is set to highlight the remarkable story of Albert Goering the brother of Nazi minister and air force chief Hermann Goering who is said to have saved hundreds of. - London, Anglia, 1981. szeptember 1.) Speer was aided in shaping the works by Joachim Fest and Wolf Jobst Siedler from the publishing house Ullstein. Oil production became so low that any possibility of offensive action became impossible and weaponry lay idle. [5], Following his release from Spandau, Speer donated the Chronicle, his personal diary, to the German Federal Archives. But the children-my two brothers and I-had to use the back stairs. [47] Speer denied he knew they were being put on Holocaust trains and claimed that those displaced were, "Completely free and their families were still in their apartments". [76], Following his appointment as Minister of Armaments, Speer was in control of armaments production solely for the Army. [5], Another kind of criticism is the claim that Speer pretended that he was unaware of the extermination camps and presented the figure of a "good Nazi". [131], Speer's supporters maintained calls for his release. [155] Isabell Trommer writes in her biography of Speer that Fest and Siedler were co-authors of Speer's memoirs and co-creators of his myths. [85] The growth, however, consisted in large part of models that were becoming obsolescent and proved easy prey for Allied aircraft. Albert Speer (Mannheim, Nmetorszg, 1905. mrcius 19. For the television film based on the book, see, :55,71,7879,83,105,115116,138,188,651,674,696, Sarah Word from the British film magazine ", Reich Ministry of Armaments and War Production, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Inside_the_Third_Reich&oldid=1132240858, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles with unsourced statements from August 2022, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 7 January 2023, at 23:15.
Governor Wolf Stimulus Package, Jeff George Meteorologist Age, Articles A