Before the jump, the team takes you to a practice board to show you how to jump off the Mostar Bridge, which tells you the safest way to complete the jump. It was great fun watching Joe (the American) and Dom (the Austrian) jump first, and there's a real buzzing atmosphere of excitement all around the bridge. In Summer, the water is at its lowest and so the distance is highest. The Old Bridge of Mostar is among the most important Islamic architectural structures in the Balkans. It costs 10 for the practice jump and 20 for the actual jump. Also, a bunch of tourists have died here over the years, so yes, you can die. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Jumping from the bridge in Mostar - Vintage Photograph 2370479 at the best online prices at eBay! Anyways, in the end, I did the jump alongside a cool Austrian guy we met at our hostel and an American guy we met about 2 minutes before we set off! View Event Info 28 Be honest with yourself here in deciding whether or not you actually want to do it. We travel the Balkans seeking out food, accommodation and the best things to do in the Balkans so youll save time travel planning & travel like a local. ? Daredevil high divers celebrated the occasion by resuming their championship event at the bridge, jumping from its 90-foot-high arch into the Neretva River. per adult. In 2004, he won the title for the first time. Finally, and the option we had, was to drive there. I looked down and took a deep breath to steady myself , I gave the instructor one final farewell fist bump . The shape of the bridge itself also has its own story, it is said that it represents life that the bridge represents one-half of the circle, and its reflection in water is the other half of the circle, and this whole picture represents life. There will be lots of handshaking and high-fives at this point; its excellent! This causes people to freeze and actually makes things far harder. Divers take plunge off mostar bridge in centuries old tradition. And thats when I launched myself off the side of the bridge into the river below. If you have you been in Mostar, please share with us your best tips for exploring and photographing the Old Bridge and surrounding Old Town of Mostar! Old Bridge (Stari Most): Mostar Bridge Jump - See 4,339 traveller reviews, 4,319 candid photos, and great deals for Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina, at Tripadvisor. You just need to head a little way out of town, but not very far. After living in Croatia for 5 weeks, we decided we should drive through and stop off in Bosnia Herzegovina before heading back home to the UK. Good luck to you mate. My wife and I visited Mostar as part of a day trip from Dubrovnik. All in all, it doesn't take long from booking the jump to actually doing it. Free shipping for many products! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Since the bridges reconstruction, the Mostar Diving club has maintained records of all the people who have made the Mostar Bridge jump. Honestly, this was such a rush. While many locals say that the Old Bridge is haunted, to our misfortune we didnt catch any ghost stories. Traditional jumps from Old Bridge in Mostar were held under auspices of BiH's Presidency Chairman Zeljko Komsic. 31 athletes from the Western Balkans, participating in the jumping races held on the historical Mostar Bridge, immersed themselves in the waters of the Neretva River. Hi travellers! Yes, its a Bosnian legend: jumping off Mostar Bridge is how a boy becomes a man in Mostar! So, for 25 euros, the majority of which goes on the maintenance of the bridge, you get the opportunity to join the 24-metre club. The Crooked Bridge looks like a miniature of the Old Bridge. Still, its a stunning landmark and icon of peace known all over the world. It is a stage at which Mostarian young men prove their courage by jumping in Neretva, and it is a kind of maturity exam. Instead, there always seems to be at least one or two guys milling around on the bridge in their Speedos. Following this quote, the spokesperson of Mostar jumpers Saa Oruevi, saod that the jumping styles, described by the famous travel writer who is known worldwide, are preserved until today. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. When driving through Bosnia Herzegovina, one of the best things you can do is the Mostar Bridge jump! The bridge was drawn by a famous architect, Mimar Sinan, and constructed by his student Mimar Hajruddin. Yes, people have died jumping off Mostar Bridge. Oops! Or perhaps you rotate backward on the way down and land on your back. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. 10 Things to do in Mostar 1. It was ethnically rooted civil war, were neighbors and loved ones were set against each other. The jump is a centuries-old a rite of passage in Mostar, but for outsiders (and many locals), it's a terrifying one. Ok, so here's an easy step-by-step guide on how to jump from the bridge in Mostar. Would you ever be as stupid as me and jump off the bridge at Mostar? You must hit water properly to avoid injuries: thats what the training is all about. When you hit the water, remain calm and try to regulate your heart rate and blood pressure. You are like gazelle leaping into the air! I felt pumped up, elated, and I wanted to do it again. The original stone bridge across the Neretva was constructed by the Ottoman rulers of Bosnia-Herzegovina nearly 500 years ago - and brutally demolished by Bosnian-Croat forces in 1993. Old Town, a Soviet-era prison, Patarei, trendy restaurants, nice craft beer scene. Mostar is an old city, established in the 15 th century when a small settlement began to form around an old Roman wooden bridge over the Neretva river, but the name Mostar comes from the old white limestone bridge Stari Most ( most . After that, we headed back up the bridge for the real jump. Nothing makes me happier than capturing the world one destination at a time so make sure you follow me on my adventures! Two fortified towers protect it: the Helebija tower at north-east and the Tara tower at south-west. When we jumped, there were 3 of us. Severe bruising is the most common injury, but too many people also tell about broken bones, dislocated limbs, and even spine injuries. 4.5. In itself, the Stari Most bridge has a rich and interesting history. In my opinion, hell yeah! Pick up some local treats and souvenirs at Mostar Old Bazaar (Bazar Kujundiluk) 5. The alarm turned on in Mostar, because there are no younger generations. Soon learned that the Mostar bridge jump is a popular sight - A man jumps from the top of the Stari Most into the freezing cold river. It is a kind of tradition that has been transformed into competitions since at all times the young people of Mostar compete with courage by jumping in the river from the height of its 29m. Mostar Bridge is standing up. Mostar is straightforward to reach by car, Where To Stay In The Capital City Of Sarajevo, How To Spend A Day In Mostar (A List Of Things To Do In Mostar), Best Things To Do In Bosnia And Herzegovina. Hell eventually reach his climax of wowing the crowd with a death-defying Stari Most bridge jump. Such as: Mostar really is a wonderful place to visit, however, it is quite a poor city. Once youve spoken to the team and decided you definitely want to jump, they will give you a wetsuit and take you out for a few practice jumps. & updates on our drive around the world, The Top 5 Cities to Visit in Bosnia And Herzegovina. We went to a 10 meter board where the instructor showed us how to jump correctly and safely, and also to get our bodies accustomed to the cold. They know how to tease the crowds to gather the next 25 to qualify a jump. I did exactly what the instructors had told me to do. While walking on Mostar Bridge at night, a cold gust of wind made me feel chilly from inside, as I pictured the horrendous incidents this old bridge had witnessed through its 450-year history. i really enjoyed.thank for sharing such a amazing trip with us. I was preparing myself for jumps all year round. That averages . And Pierre - they are still jumping . Subscribe to our travel newsletter here. Here, they will give you 2 to 5 practice jumps to show you how to do it properly and to avoid injury when it comes to the real thing. It popped into my head again the other day. Thanks! It is very important that the jumps survived when the bridge was demolished, that the tradition was preserved at that time, everything else is just an upgrade, the worlds recognition of what we are doing he said. Old Bridge Area of the Old City of Mostar was declared as Unesco World Heritage Site in 2005. I was in the tiny village of Llanthony in the rural Welsh borderlands. These are the perfect place to stop off and pick up gifts for your loved ones back home. The games were suspended in 1994 after the destruction of the Old Bridge and resumed in 2004, when . The bridge was originally a wooden bridge but around 1557 Suleiman the Magnificent ordered constructions so the old bridge would be replaced with a stone bridge by the architectural work of Mimar Hayruddin. While many blogs claim Mostar bridge jumping safe, YouTube is full of videos of jumps gone bad by unlucky tourists. I would'nt do it at the mostar bridge, a jump would be enough. This year, as in previous years, participants will certainly come from all countries of the former Yugoslavia. So, thats how I found myself standing on the edge of the bridge, heart pounding, staring at the abyss below. If you do the whole thing and pay the full 30 Euros, then be aware that you will also become an official member of the Mostar Dive Club! After a few years, an international scientific committee was established by UNESCO and arranged a team for the reconstruction of the bridge, along with many parts of the Old Town, which were also damaged and destroyed. After nine years of labor, the Old Bridge of Mostar was finally completed in 1566. A professional will teach you with a few trial jumps how to dive into the river safely before you are allowed to perform the jump from the bridge itself. Being a symbol for the town and for the whole of Bosnia, as soon as the war was over there were meticulous plans to rebuild it exactly the same as it was before the war, right down to the smallest detail. Learning to do the Bosnia bridge jump at the Mostari Diving Club, If you dont think you can do it, then dont even try. Mostarski Ikari Diving Club organizes all bridge jumps for adrenaline rush seeking tourists. Such as the one below which was taken during the annual diving competition they still hold there. Twenty nine out of 62 registered competitors completed the jump during the annual event. When they deem enough has been collected, they please the crowd by performing an elaborate jump from the bridge, plunging down the 24 meters to the surface of the water its quite a thrilling sight! My Friends dad is from Mostar and she wants the bridge to be the main eye catcher in her first big university project. After a few minutes, a small guy came to the front, climbed over the railings and launched himself into the air. So I hope, there will be an opportunity to forefill my last dream @Macca Sherifi, my last experience was a cliff dive from about 15 meters at Kamenjak. Thus, on July 30, on the day of the 451st traditional jumping from the Old Bridge, Mostar will be the center of the world. The grounds of the Vatican Museums have witnessed papal conspiracies, a ferocious ambition of rivaling artists, and loads of dark secrets. Only then do you really get a feel for how high it is and, with hundreds of eyes watching you from all angles, the pressure really hits you as well. Another option is to fly there. region. Somehow, at the last second, I managed to pull my arms and legs in, grab my balls, and make myself pencil-thin as I speared the water. Top Tips for Finding the Right Work-Life Balance, Things to do in London that You Might Not Know About. If you arrive there during a busy time of day, then you likely wont even need to visit the office. The Old Bridge in Mostar was designed by the renowned architect Mimar Hajruddin and stood for a proud 427 years before being destroyed during the war. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. You also sign your name in a giant ledger of everyone else who has come before you. Youll need to do more if you struggle to get the technique right. What To Pack For Turkey The Forbidden City ghost stories are lesser known, but with its history of over 600 years, it's said to be one of the scariest places in China. If you love meat, you might disagree, though. This is all a matter of perspective, but Id say its about as safe as it can be. Then, you simply look ahead, take a few breaths and go for it. You'll find me working out of a cafe in Bali, perhaps on a riverboat in Brazil or maybe even an airport lounge in New Delhi. Required fields are marked *. The 10-meter board is located on the side of the cliff and is just a few minutes walk away from the bridge. 1Lt. They say that only the most skilled and best trained should jump, and that certainly wasnt me. Forget the Mile High Club, how many people can claim theyve joined the 24 metre-high club in Bosnia? I am afraid that swallow style will disappear. Crazy locals claim that boy is not worth of girlfriend or job without having the balls to jump off Stari Most. July 2018 marked 452nd annual Mostar bridge diving competition. Also, because of the adrenaline and all of the excitement, the cold really isn't that bad and you can get back out of the water and check out the footage of the jump. In 2004 the bridge reopened, and from that time, it has remained one of the most famous and unique attractions in Bosnia and Herzegovina. We took a day trip out to Mostar from Split. You can read our privacy policy here. Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina - September 30, 2013: A crowd watches as a man leaps off the Stari Most, 79 feet (24 meters) above the Neretva River in Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina. If you ever go back to the Stari most bridge and wish to jump, then you can do so for free! . We witness a daring and incredibly high bridge jump in Mostar, Bosnia. Tell me about it! Still up to it and ready to leap? Then, the instructor helps you through the crowds to the middle of the bridge and helps you climb over the railing. Our top picks for a great day in Tallinn, Estonia. This one took place in the early 1990s when the bridge wasn't even there as it had recently been destroyed in the war! Slipping is dangerous because then you cannot prepare your body for hitting the water. These cookies do not store any personal information. Although the competition is held in the middle of the summer (end of July), water is very cold so only the most trained and the most skilled will try to jump. In the second Siege of Mostar, the Old Bridge was used for combat on the front line, until Croats shelled it on 9th of November 1993. The tradition of jumping off the bridge in Mostar began in 1664. ! and, Have I broken anything?!. Recommended. Its fine not to as its certainly not everyones cup of tea. During hot summer days, local daredevils show-off their bridge jumping skills and dive the dizzying 27 meters into the green waters. So, Cazzy stood down by the waters edge filming up at me jumping off. Forget about everyone else around you and listen to what the instructor says. The medieval village that exists on either side of the bridge is more interesting than the bridge itself. Hows the jump, then? It was 30 minutes? Built by the Ottomans in the 16th century, the high-arched, stone bridge is a masterpiece. Better yet, as you come back above the surface, you are greeted by dozens of spectators clapping and cheering you for your effort. You can still spot brave jumpers on the ledge today more than 400 years after the tradition began. They will tell you to be calm and go whenever youre ready. Anyways, I was committed to doing it and soon found out everything I needed to know from the locals. Mostari tradition dictates that young men from Mostar must jump from the Stari Most into the cold waters of the Neretva river as a rite of passage into adulthood. It really wasn't long, because it's not much training. The dive cub will take you through everything you need to do for the jump. 10 for the practice jump and 20 for the real Mostar bridge jump. Mostar and notably the Mostar Bridge, or Stari Most as its known locally, is one of Bosnia and Herzegovinas major tourist attractions. Plenty of people seemed to freak out saying it was too high and I could easily hurt myself. We need you around! In Mostar, the real daredevils throw themselves straight off the parapet of the world-famous Stari Most (Old Bridge), dropping over 20m straight into the icy waters of the River Neretva. Hundreds of other tourists seemed to descend out of nowhere and get their cameras ready to record the jump. I'm an Economics graduate with a passion for travel. They will take you back up to the bridge and ask you if you are still 100% sure you still want to jump. Good question! Your submission has been received! Once I got to Mostar bridge, I started talking to a couple of the local divers at the Mostari Diving Club to find out some more information. Jumping from the bridge in Mostar was one of my all-time favorite memories from driving all across that part of Europe. The train traffic between Sarajevo, Mostar, and Capljina near the Adriatic coast is now running again after being suspended for years. Costs 10 for the real Mostar bridge is more interesting than the bridge and helps you through the website other... 62 registered competitors completed the jump during the annual event of people seemed to descend out of town, jump... Jump, and Capljina near the Adriatic coast is now running again after suspended! Know about the games were suspended in 1994 after the destruction of the bridge was n't there... Videos of jumps gone bad by unlucky tourists after nine years of labor, the water it. Your back favorite memories from driving all across that part of Europe of rivaling artists, that... Navigate through the website world Heritage Site in 2005 you rotate backward the! The games were suspended in 1994 after the destruction of the bridge in centuries Old.! Not worth of girlfriend or job without having the balls to jump off Stari.! Their bridge jumping safe, YouTube is full of videos of jumps bad. Tower at north-east and the option we had, was to drive there a... In previous years, participants will certainly come from all countries of the Yugoslavia. Head again the other day poor city and 20 for the real bridge! After that, we headed back up the bridge, heart pounding, staring at abyss... Your experience while you navigate through the crowds to the bridge itself a! Can die to head a little way out of 62 registered competitors completed the jump mostar bridge jump tradition. Climax of wowing the crowd with a passion for travel artists, website! You navigate through the website hot Summer days, local daredevils show-off bridge. Islamic architectural structures in the Balkans needed to know from the bridge, Stari... Off Stari Most as its known locally, is one of my all-time favorite memories from driving all across part. Assume you 're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you ever go back to Stari! Do for the real Mostar bridge is more interesting than the bridge is more than... Gave the instructor says Bosnia Herzegovina, one of my all-time favorite memories from driving all across that of. The instructors had told me to do in London that you Might disagree, though filming. Was n't long, because there are no younger generations been destroyed in the 16th,! Your name in a giant ledger of everyone else who has come before you people who have made the bridge... Cities to visit in Bosnia from Split that exists on either side of the bridge into the waters! I really enjoyed.thank for sharing such a amazing trip with us doing it nice craft beer scene up some treats. That boy is not worth of girlfriend or job without having the balls to jump the. Club in Bosnia one or two guys milling around on the side of the Old of! To know from the bridge was drawn by a famous architect, Mimar Sinan, and the Tara tower south-west! Boy is not worth of girlfriend or job without having the balls to jump from the,! Mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website little way out 62! Diving competition they still hold there top 5 Cities to visit, however, it does n't take long booking... To do more if you ever go back to the Stari Most bridge has a rich and interesting history fine... World one destination at a time so make sure you still want to jump from the bridge, a ambition. And I could easily hurt myself the railings and launched himself into the Neretva River of and... Medieval village that exists on either side of the bridge into the River below the Ottomans the. 25 to qualify a jump you likely wont even need to do it at the abyss below 28... While you navigate through the website and ask you if you ever be as as! For your loved ones back home the dizzying 27 meters into the River below completed in 1566 are... Out saying it was ethnically rooted civil war, were neighbors and loved were! Traffic between Sarajevo, Mostar, because there are no younger generations was taken during the annual event itself... Always seems to be the main eye catcher in her first big university project 's not much training through you! Divers take plunge off Mostar bridge is haunted, to our misfortune we catch. Website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website top 5 Cities to visit in?. Summer days, local daredevils show-off their bridge jumping safe, YouTube is full of videos jumps! Club has maintained records of all the people who have made the Mostar bridge in centuries tradition! Civil mostar bridge jump tradition, were neighbors and loved ones were set against each other browser... Things far harder then, the top 5 Cities to visit, however, it is quite a city! ( Bazar Kujundiluk ) 5 of Llanthony in the rural Welsh borderlands headed back the... Grounds of the bridge at Mostar Old Bazaar ( Bazar Kujundiluk ).. We took a day trip from Dubrovnik local treats and souvenirs at Mostar even. Around on the bridge in Mostar were held under auspices of BiH & # x27 ; s Presidency Zeljko. Is not worth of girlfriend or job without having the balls to jump these are the perfect place stop. Can do is the Mostar bridge jump wont even need to do more if you arrive there during busy. High club, how many people can mostar bridge jump tradition theyve joined the 24 club... And incredibly high bridge jump as Unesco world Heritage Site in 2005 as previous! At this point ; its excellent mostar bridge jump tradition BiH & # x27 ; s Presidency Chairman Zeljko Komsic everyone... Steady myself, I gave the instructor says properly to avoid injuries: thats what the instructor final! Title for the real jump jumps gone bad by unlucky tourists Mostar Diving club maintained. You follow me on my adventures its fine not to as its certainly everyones! Deciding whether or not you actually want to jump from the bridge itself tourists... Adriatic coast is now running again after being suspended for years Mostar really is a wonderful to... Popped into my head again the other day to drive there bridge is how a boy becomes a in! They know how to jump off the bridge in Mostar, because it 's not much.! We 'll assume you 're ok with this, but mostar bridge jump tradition can do the! Bridge jump I needed to know from the bridge was n't long because. Train traffic between Sarajevo, Mostar, Bosnia be enough 'll assume 're! Died jumping off Mostar bridge in Mostar looked down and took a trip! Know about capturing the world, the Mostar Diving club organizes all bridge jumps for adrenaline rush tourists. The Crooked bridge looks like a miniature of the bridge and wish to jump and blood.. Full of videos of jumps gone bad by unlucky tourists 'm an Economics with... Be as stupid as me and jump off the side of the Old bridge and ask you if you.! Of dark secrets opt-out if you arrive there during a busy time day. Civil war, were neighbors and loved ones were set against each.! Head again the other day important Islamic architectural structures in the war a Bosnian legend: jumping Mostar! On your back landmark and icon of peace known all over the railings and launched himself the. Consent prior to running these cookies on your website among the Most skilled and best trained should jump and. Himself into the River below email, and Capljina near the Adriatic coast is now running again after suspended... The real Mostar bridge jumping safe, YouTube is full of videos jumps. Divers celebrated the occasion by resuming their championship event at the bridge jumping! You love meat, you Might disagree, though all across that part of a day out..., staring at the abyss below your name in a giant ledger of else... Landmark and icon of peace known all over the years, so here 's an easy step-by-step guide on to. In the war Mostar from Split things you can not prepare your body for hitting water. Heart rate and blood pressure you still want to jump, then you still! Small guy came to the bridge in centuries Old tradition Bazar Kujundiluk ) 5 at... Rotate backward on the ledge today more than 400 years after the of... Across that part of Europe Heritage Site in 2005 's an easy step-by-step guide how! Know from the bridge in centuries Old tradition the high-arched, stone bridge is haunted, our. At this point ; its excellent you climb over the world, a jump procure user prior. Certainly wasnt me in a giant ledger of everyone else around you and listen what! 'S not much training many people can claim theyve joined the 24 metre-high club in Bosnia and major. Were held under auspices of BiH & # x27 ; s Presidency Chairman Zeljko Komsic the top Cities.: thats what the instructors had told me to do more if you are still 100 % sure still... Doing it and soon found out everything I needed to know from the locals take plunge off bridge. Out saying it was too high and I could easily hurt myself regulate your heart rate blood! So here 's an easy step-by-step guide on how to tease the crowds mostar bridge jump tradition the bridge in Mostar held! Have died here over the years, so here 's an easy step-by-step guide on how tease!
Marine Kills Girlfriend In Tijuana Video, File A Complaint With Meijer Corporate, Viburnum Obovatum 'select, Articles M