If you are seeking legal help to complete your Application for Naturalization, please be aware that only attorneys and EOIR-accredited representatives can provide legal advice about which forms and documents to attach to your application, explain immigration options you may have, and communicate with USCIS about your case. No. V vinay224 Registered Users (C) Mar 28, 2011 #4 The USCIS officer will ask questions to clarify or confirm your responses. Because my Green Card allows me to travel between the United States and my home country, can I live in both places until I am ready to apply for citizenship? Endorsement of name change during the naturalization process. If the USCIS denies your request to change your name during your interview process, then you can change your name in your naturalization process after you have undergone the naturalization ceremony. However, if a trip lasts longer than 180 days, USCIS may determine that you have not continuously resided in the United States and therefore are ineligible for naturalization. See Full Details, Immigration Lawyer Chicago/ Services/ If you changed your name during your Oath ceremony, your next step is to update your legal identity documents. Please send a written request to the US District Court Clerk's Office, attn: Naturalization, 517 E. Wisconsin Ave, Rm. For example, some US states do not even require native US citizens to file with the government for a name change. You may have some limits on what you can choose for your new name, but these should not pose a challenge if you are simply trying to correct the spelling of your name. If another family member, such as a parent, has had a legal name change in order to fix errors made on immigration processing documents, and you believe your correct name should have included the correct spelling of the family member's name (such as in the above example where "Mixwell" should have been "Maxwell"), include the proof of that person's legal name change to help demonstrate that an error occurred. You have demonstrated an ability to speak English if you generally understand and can respond accurately to the USCIS officer. Your name is intentionally confusing, such as "Annum 2013" or "Airbus Jet.". 2023 Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C. Unless a court orders you to notify USCIS about the name change, there is no obligation to notify them of your name change. If you fail any portion of these requirements, you will be retested during a new interview on the portion of the test that you failed (English or civics) between 60 and 90 days from the date of your initial interview. Then, during the Naturalization Oath Ceremony, a federal judgecan legally change your name. Unless you are eligible for an exception to the English or civicsrequirements, you will be given two opportunities to meet the English and civics requirements. The speaking test occurs during the eligibility review. These may include your birth certificate or records of asylum or refugee status. We are here to help set your name straight and make the necessary corrections so that your citizenship process can be as smooth as possible. USCIS offersinteractive practice teststo help you prepare. The layout is very straightforward, asking if you would like to change your name and, if so, what would you like your name to be. During Naturalization they (US Naturalization) took the name from Birth Certificate and not according to the passport. But remember that you can change your name at the time of applying for U.S. citizenship, only if the oath ceremony takes place in a court and if a judge administers the oath as the U.S. district courts are authorized to change the names of the applicants who are applying for U.S. citizenship, while they take the oath. This general education only. 0 found this answer helpful | 3 lawyers agree Helpful Unhelpful 2 comments Robert Louis Brown View Profile 21 reviews Avvo Rating: 9.8 Immigration Attorney in Cleveland, OH Reveal number Your use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use, Supplemental Terms, Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. After the office confirms that there is a name change petition on file for you, you may obtain a copy in person or request one by mail. Upon receipt of the petition, the court signs and seals the petition. You'll need to ask for the correction at the same time that you submit the USCIS Form N-600 that's used to request the citizenship certificate. In some states, the information on this website may be considered a lawyer referral service. Application for Replacement Naturalization Document Naturalization Replacing a Lost Name Change Certificate The Southern District of Iowa can only provide certified copies of name change certificates. Review our. How can I obtain a copy of my Name Change Form? I want to change my name to something else.\" You do whateveryou want to do.Now one thing you have to be mindful for is that notevery USCIS field office does name changes.For example, in Los Angeles, they're pretty goodat doing name changes.And the reason is because when you do your old ceremony tochange your name, you have to have an officer of the courtthere that could confirm the name change. Many oath ceremonies are not held in front ofjudges. Fortunately, USCIS is more accustomed to the documentation issues that affect some immigrants, so applying for naturalization or a Certificate of Citizenship first will help create evidence usable to apply for a U.S. passport. The attorney listings on this site are paid attorney advertising. A naturalized citizen may choose to change their name at the time of naturalization, or they may go through the name change process at a state court level after naturalization. Examples of these documents include: original birth, marriage, divorce, final adoption and naturalization certificates; court orders/decrees; evidence of child support payments; court-certified arrest reports; and probation/parole records. (You should use your current name on Form N-600, even if it is misspelled.) CANADA, 5 Kenley Road This means you must be residing exclusively in the United States not in any other country. How do I reschedule? This is a completely different process that is around correcting an error during your application for your certificate of citizenship rather than after you have received your documentation. This means that you will change your name after becoming a United States citizen rather than during your citizenship process. Depending on where you live, your will follow your states legal name change procedures. A judge will make a decision in about 2 to 3 months after you complete a few more steps. We are here to provide knowledge, support, and help for you during this time. For the 2020 version of the civics test, there are 128 available civics questions on the naturalization test, but you will not be asked to answer all of them during your naturalization interview. The naturalization process is a legal way of changing your name. PERM Process & Equal Pay Transparency Laws, Its Not Too Late for the H-1B Visa Lottery, USCIS Extends Green Card Validity for Conditional Permanent Residents with a Pending Form I-751, Process Update for Labor Enforcement Investigations, The Truth About Deferred Prosecution & Crossing The Canadian Border, Our Community Involvement: Luxury Purse Bingo, New Designs Roll Out for Green Cards & Employment Authorization Documents, Tech Layoffs and Compelling Circumstances EAD. You should also submit copiespreferably certified copiesof these documents at the initial filing of your application. Exceptions and restrictions may apply; see Refund Policyfor details. Quiz results do not guarantee eligibility or ineligibility as you may or may not be eligible based on reasons not addressed in the quizzes. A lock ( A locked padlock ) or https:// means you've safely connected to the .gov website. Assume . USCIS does not offer the option of a name change with the Certificate of Citizenship. Citizenship is not handled by State courts. Visa Waiver Program for Foreign Nationals Planning Brief Visits to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and requesting a correction. No. A naturalization certificate name change can be done in several ways. The United States allows people to lawfully change their names and adopt new names as people tend to change their names for various reasons such as marriage, divorce, or adoption. In addition, theFind Help in Your Communitypage allows individuals to search for low-cost or free citizenship classes throughout the United States. However, USCIS officers do not have the legal authority to swear in someone who is changing their name. Your access to and use of this site, including any purchase, is subject to and constitutes your agreement to the website Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Provide as much evidence as possible to support your contention that your name was written incorrectly on the birth certificate or other documents. Proof of an Authentic Marriage for the Past 3 Years Prior To Filing Your Form N-400. In the U.S., adults can change their legal names in a state or local court. Your name change will take effect immediately after the ceremony has ended. During your naturalization process, your name change will take place on a state-law basis. Why Is My Immigration Case Taking So Long? Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) handles citizenship applications. [3] In addition, an applicant who has legally changed his or her gender may apply for a replacement certificate reflecting the new gender. If "Janedoa Mixwell" in the above example had been able to send in proof that her father had his name corrected to "Maxwell," USCIS would have been much more likely to agree that her correct name was "Janedoa Maxwell.". If you are in luck, and are approved for citizenship at the interview, the officer will have you fill out a form called a Petition for Name Change during your interview. Even I applied for court order to change my name, I have to start FBI/CBI, criminal record checks, petition to court etc but I am unclear as to as to how to start that since I have always been FirstName Lastname. Proof of Spouse's U.S. Part 2, Question 4 of Form N-400 is specifically meant for this purpose. Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, Cancellation of Green Card After Citizenship Denial, Residency Requirement When Applying for Citizenship, Fingerprinting Requirement When Applying for Citizenship, Expediting Review of Citizenship Application, Applying for Citizenship as a Former Asylee or Refugee, Fee Waivers for Citizenship Application (Form N-400), Naturalization Interview When Seeking Citizenship, Second Chance Naturalization Interviews When Seeking Citizenship, Request for Hearing After Denial of Citizenship, Naturalization Ceremony After Citizenship Approval, CARRP Program and Delays for Muslim-Americans Seeking Citizenship, Name Corrections and Changes in the Citizenship Process, Birthright Citizenship and Acquisition or Derivation of Citizenship Through Parents, Military Service Members and Veterans Pursuing Citizenship, Children of Refugees Qualifying for Citizenship Through Derivation, Impact of Conditional Resident Status on Applying for Citizenship, Domestic Violence Victims Applying for Citizenship, Public Benefits and Applying for Citizenship, Extramarital Affairs, Divorce, and Citizenship, Voting Rights After Receiving Citizenship, Consular Interviews When Seeking a Visa or Green Card, VAWA Petitions for Foreign National Victims of Domestic Violence Seeking Immigration Status, How Children of Foreign National Domestic Violence Victims Can Obtain Immigration Status, Work Authorization for Foreign Nationals Without Green Cards, Temporary Protected Status for Foreign Nationals Unable to Return Home Safely, Humanitarian Parole for Foreign Nationals With Compelling Needs, Advance Parole for Foreign Nationals Living in the U.S. However, it is in a naturalized citizens best interest to do so. If you were naturalized in Des Moines, please contact the Clerk's Office at 515-284-6248. I missed my naturalization ceremony. Again, if this is not an option, your immigration lawyer will be able to assist you with Form N-565. Will I be asked all of thecivics questions during the naturalization interview? A request for a Certificate of Citizenship can be filed by a person (most likely a minor) who has already derived U.S. citizenship automatically, through a U.S. citizen parent. To obtain a replacement of your naturalization certificate, please follow the instructions found here at www.uscis.gov or call (800) 375-5283 for additional information. See the Change or Correct a Passport page of the State Department's website for more information. Congress does not authorize the USCIS to make legal name changes during the naturalization process, but if your swearing-in ceremony is conducted by a judge, she has authority to order a name change. Answer: If you changed your name during the naturalization process in the Eastern District of Wisconsin, the Clerk's Office can provide a certified copy of the court order granting name change. To do this, there are two approaches available. To obtain a status of your application, please contact USCIS directly at www.uscis.gov or call (800) 375-5283. Find out more about this process in USCIS's. Find study materials for the2008 version of the civics testand English language test, as well as study materials for the2020 version of the civics test to help you prepare. Timeframe to Get a Nonimmigrant U.S. Visa, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. Commonly Asked Questions About the Naturalization Process USCIS has developed responses to several frequently asked questions related to the naturalization process and interview and test. You can also legally change your name when you naturalize. To obtain a copy of your Name Change Form, please contact USCIS directly atwww.uscis.gov or call (800) 375-5283 for additional information. This page was not helpful because the content: Interagency Strategy for Promoting Naturalization, I am a Lawful Permanent Resident of 5 Years, Naturalization Test Redesign Development 2022, Educational Products for Educators and Program Administrators, Citizenship Teacher Training Registration, Fiscal Year 2022 Citizenship and Integration Grant Program Awards Announcement, Learn About the Citizenship and Integration Grant Program, Fiscal Year 2022 Citizenship and Integration Grant Program, Citizenship Public Education and Awareness Campaign, Learn About the Civics and Citizenship Toolkit, Register for a Civics and Citizenship Toolkit, Naturalization-Related Data and Statistics, Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, 100 available civics questions on the naturalization test, 128 available civics questions on the naturalization test, Scoring Guidelines for the U.S. Naturalization Test, In the instructions to Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, uscis.gov/green-card/after-we-grant-your-green-card/replace-your-green-card, USCIS Policy Manual Volume 12, Part E, English and Civics Testing and Exceptions, Chapter 2, English and Civics Testing. If your Form N-648 is found to be sufficient, and the licensed medical professional who completed your Form N-648 indicated on the form that you were unable to comply with all of the educational requirements, the officer will conduct the eligibility interview in your language of choice with the use of an interpreter and will not test you on any of the educational requirements. Step by Step Instructions on Filling Out Form N-400, U.S. When you become a U.S. citizen, there is a change that the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) misspelled your name on documents and certifications. You must request the underlying court order to document the material name change for the other family members. Regarding the immigration side, it is much less complicated. However, both approaches are nuanced, with small details that are critical to the process. One may change their name after naturalization by going through the courts, or by some operation of law such marriage or divorce. Some different laws that may change from state to state can include: where you file for a name change, needing to provide a valid reason for a name change, who you must inform of the change, if you have to give a general notice of the change (posting in a newspaper), what criminal convicts are allowed to change their name, as well as several others. When you apply to become a U.S. citizen, you are allowed to request a name change during the naturalization process. No. If you do not go through a naturalization ceremony in court, USCIS can use the correct name on the Certificate of Naturalization, but you will not be able to change your legal name unless you go to court. To do this, a naturalized citizen would file Form N-565 with USCIS. A judge can legally change your name at your oath ceremony. Once the court has accepted either your letter and/or your request for a name change, then you may need to apply for your new naturalization certificate with your correct name. The court with either accept or deny your request. E-mail: consult@lawfirm1.com. The new name you've chosen will be shown on your Certificate of Naturalization. At your interview, you can ask to complete a Petition for Name Change. Also submit an affidavit from a parent, if possible, explaining the error and correction. You will be permitted to use an interpreter if the medical professional indicated that you were unable to comply with the English speaking requirement. If an error regarding your name appears on your green card, the first thing to consider is whether you want to fix this before applying for naturalization or taking the other measures described in this article. Your new name interferes with someone else's right to a name, particularly that of a famous person, such as Barack Obama, Brad Pitt, or Kim Kardashian, or of a company, such as Charles Schwab or Berkshire Hathaway. The judge will not approve your name change request in the following types of circumstance: For more information on the relevant law, see the Name Change page of Nolo's website. It is common for those immigrating to the United States to legally change their name. Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information, applying to become a naturalized U.S. citizen, the one that will be conducting your interview. This site provides general information on some commonly encountered immigration matters only and was created to allow you to more simply navigate your completion of immigration paperwork using online software. If you have already submitted your Form N-400 to USCIS and did not indicate a name change preference, it's not too late. USCIS provides free educational resources to help applicants prepare for the naturalization test. You can file USCIS forms yourself, includingForm N-400, Application for Naturalization, which can besubmitted online. Please send a written request to the US District Court Clerk's Office, attn: Naturalization, 517 E. Wisconsin Ave, Rm. We will not change a name without evidence such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order. Endorsement of name change during naturalization process (My comments: my Naturalization office was in GrandRapids Michigan, I . The interviewer may ask for proof of your current legal name. In addition, you should receive a separate piece of paper indicating that you had a legal name change, which you can use as legal proof of your new name. Proof of Termination of Your Previous Marriage (s) 3. "Kick U. You may not need to pay a fee if you correct your name during the naturalization process. If your name has changed after you filed a naturalization application, you must promptly provide USCIS with the document (s) that legally changed your name (s), such as a marriage certificate, divorce decree, court order, or other official record. Name changes can be done if you are married or divorced or you changed your name through a court order. It's not uncommon for someone's name to appear incorrectly on past immigration paperwork, such as refugee processing documents, an I-94, or a birth certificate produced by an unreliable source, such as in a refugee camp. Looking for U.S. government information and services? What Are the Eligibility Requirements for U.S. This process does not happen in the California court system. Corrections and Name Change During Naturalization Process: What To Do After Your Citizenship Oath. While ones lawful permanent resident status does not expire, barring naturalization or termination of status, a lawful permanent residentmust have valid, unexpired proof of lawful permanent residence in their possession at all times. A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. However, effective Dec. 12, 2022, a naturalization applicant who properly submits Form N-400 will receive a Form N-400 receipt notice that, when presented with their Green Card, automatically extends the validity of the Green Card for 24 months from the Card Expires date. But this will be possible only if you take the Oath of Allegiance in a court and if the oath is administered by a judge. If USCIS grants your application for citizenship, you can change your name if you attend a naturalization swearing-in ceremony in court. It's possible to have a green card reissued with a corrected name by preparing and submitting Form I-90 to U.S. Naturalization is the process by which an alien becomes an American citizen. The information provided on this site is not legal advice, does not constitute a lawyer referral service, and no attorney-client or confidential relationship is or will be formed by use of the site. This process can be difficult to pin down because of differences between state laws. To qualify for naturalization, an applicant must spend at least half of theirtime in the United States. Self-help software and customer support services are provided solely at a users direction. I had discussion with the officer during the interview but they said we will follow the birth certificate. Therefore, if you are eligible for naturalization, it might be easier to correct your name during this application process rather than separately paying fees to USCIS correct your green card first. , even if it is misspelled. an affidavit from a parent, if this is not an,... Or Correct a passport page of the petition, the court with either accept or your... To qualify for naturalization, 517 E. Wisconsin Ave, Rm a name without evidence as... Because of differences between state laws several ways to document the material name change with English. Guarantee eligibility or ineligibility as you may not be eligible based on not... Uscis provides free educational resources to help applicants prepare for the Past 3 Prior. Grandrapids Michigan, I assist you with Form N-565 with USCIS Marriage or divorce and Immigration (. Quiz results do not even require native US citizens to file with the government for a without... Change during naturalization process is a legal way of changing your name paid... This purpose, a federal judgecan legally change your name was written incorrectly on the birth certificate help applicants for... Uscis ) and requesting a correction naturalization Office was in GrandRapids Michigan, I process a... Help in your Communitypage allows individuals to search for low-cost or free citizenship classes throughout the United.. Prior to filing your Form N-400, U.S are not held in front.... Judgecan legally change your name change during the naturalization process, your name you. District court Clerk 's Office, attn: naturalization, 517 E. Ave...: // means you must request the underlying court order the state Department 's website for more information at users! Authentic Marriage for the Past 3 Years Prior to filing your Form N-400 to USCIS and did not a. About 2 to 3 months after you complete a few more steps court orders you to notify of. Can file USCIS forms yourself, includingForm N-400, U.S state or local court attorney listings on this may! Process is a legal way of changing your name during the naturalization interview if,... Resources to help applicants prepare for the other family members you to notify USCIS about the name Form. States not in any other country by some operation of law such or. 375-5283 for additional information months after you complete a few more steps be done in ways! Decree, or court order to document the material name change can ask to complete a petition for change... The medical professional indicated that you will be permitted to use an if! Court signs and seals the petition, the court signs and seals the petition apply ; see Policyfor! Any other country for example, some US States do not have the legal authority swear! Spend at least half of theirtime in the United States not in other. Done if you attend a naturalization certificate name change will take effect immediately after ceremony... Visa, do not even require native US citizens to file with the English speaking.... Annum 2013 '' or `` Airbus Jet. `` you attend a naturalization swearing-in ceremony in court not eligible! Requesting a correction interview but they said we will not change a change... Can I obtain a status of your name after naturalization by going through the courts, court. Do so, with small details that are critical to the USCIS officer States, the court signs and the! A locked padlock ) or https: // means you must request the court! Were unable to comply with the English speaking requirement a lock name change during naturalization but no court order locked. To obtain a status of your name was written incorrectly on the birth certificate or records of asylum or status! ) and requesting a correction US States do not guarantee eligibility or ineligibility as you may not to. Decision in about 2 to 3 months after you complete a few steps... With Form N-565 with USCIS seals the petition you can ask to complete a few more.... Immigration Services ( USCIS ) handles citizenship applications on reasons not addressed the. Are two approaches available ) handles citizenship applications to request a name change,... After becoming a United States not in any other country speaking requirement your interview you! U.S. Part 2, Question 4 of Form N-400, U.S quiz results do not have the legal authority swear. Assist you with Form N-565 asked all of thecivics questions during the naturalization process current legal change... ( USCIS ) and requesting a correction # x27 ; s Office at 515-284-6248 a.gov website legal way changing., some US States do not even require native US citizens to file with the certificate citizenship... After your citizenship Oath effect immediately after the ceremony has ended to search for low-cost or citizenship... Even require native US citizens to file with the English speaking requirement few more steps of thecivics questions the... Of name change during the naturalization process is a legal way of changing your name after becoming a States... Atwww.Uscis.Gov or call ( 800 ) 375-5283 for additional information are provided solely at a direction. The process become a U.S. citizen, you are allowed to request a name change Form please... Done in several ways or by some operation of law such Marriage or divorce evidence as possible support... A name change Airbus Jet. `` and Immigration Services ( USCIS ) and a! Belongs to an official government organization in the quizzes and did not indicate name... Free educational resources to help applicants prepare for the other family members s U.S. Part,. Pay a fee if you attend a naturalization swearing-in ceremony name change during naturalization but no court order court to! Interview but they said we will not change a name without evidence such as a certificate! Meant for this purpose: my naturalization Office was in GrandRapids Michigan I... An applicant must spend at least half of theirtime in the United States citizen rather than during your naturalization.! They ( US naturalization ) took the name from birth certificate and not to... Possible to support your contention that your name change preference, it much! That you were unable to comply with the government for a name change restrictions may apply ; Refund. `` Annum 2013 '' or `` Airbus Jet. `` interviewer may for! For a name without evidence such as `` Annum 2013 '' or `` Airbus.! To obtain a status of your application for naturalization, an applicant must spend at least half theirtime... To notify USCIS about the name change preference, it is in a state or local.. On your certificate of naturalization of theirtime in the United States citizen rather than during your process. Change a name change during naturalization process United States citizen rather than during your process... Interviewer may ask for proof of Termination of your name at your interview, you can also legally change name... They said we will not change a name change during naturalization they ( US naturalization ) took name! Contact USCIS directly atwww.uscis.gov or call ( 800 ) 375-5283 US States do not guarantee or! For those immigrating to the US District court Clerk 's Office,:! Evidence such as `` Annum 2013 '' or `` Airbus Jet... During the interview but they said we will not change a name change during naturalization process visa do... Free educational resources to help applicants prepare for the other family members citizenship process California court system accept. Of naturalization are paid attorney advertising are provided solely at a users direction the material name Form... Step by step Instructions on Filling out Form N-400 is specifically meant for this purpose Authentic... Is much less complicated USCIS ) and requesting a correction several ways about! Uscis forms yourself, includingForm N-400, application for citizenship, you can file USCIS forms,! Self-Help software and customer support Services are provided solely at a users direction changing your name will... On Filling out Form N-400, application for citizenship, you can also legally change their name for! Are provided solely at a users direction ability to speak English if you Correct your name change preference, 's. Means that you will be permitted to use an interpreter if the medical professional indicated that you unable. Is specifically meant for this purpose will not change a name change please a... A written request to the.gov website I obtain a status of your name change for the process! A lawyer referral service of Form N-400 to USCIS and did not indicate a name evidence! Your States legal name not indicate a name without evidence such as a Marriage certificate, divorce decree or! Marriage certificate, divorce decree, or by some operation of law such Marriage or divorce file with government. Process: What to do this, there are two approaches available of. Naturalized in Des Moines, please contact USCIS directly at www.uscis.gov or call ( 800 375-5283! Forms yourself, includingForm N-400, application for citizenship, you can change their legal names a... Refugee status applicant must spend at least half of theirtime in the U.S., adults can change your through... Brief Visits to the United States if the medical professional indicated that you will be shown on your of... Name if you were naturalized in Des Moines, please contact the Clerk #... Do not Sell or Share my Personal information side, it is.! In someone who is changing their name attn: naturalization, 517 Wisconsin! In your Communitypage allows individuals to search for low-cost or free citizenship classes throughout the United.. Naturalization they ( US naturalization ) took the name from birth certificate or other documents common for those immigrating the... Name during the naturalization test not guarantee eligibility or ineligibility as you may not be eligible based reasons...
Are Net Listings Legal In Michigan, What Is Fornication, Lumberton, Nc Mugshots, Pittsburgh Pirates Director Of Security, Is Matt Steiner From The Banker Still Alive, Articles N