My court will be fair, impartial and compassionate. WASHTENAW COUNTY, MI - Karl Barr has been elected to serve as the newest judge in Washtenaw County's 14A District Court. Arianne Elizabeth Slay of Ypsilanti won election to a six-year term in 22nd District Circuit Court with nearly 71-percent of the vote. I have worked in the prosecutors office, as a judicial clerk, as a criminal defense attorney and currently as a public defender. Frequent writer and speaker on vital legal issues. I will lend my voice and experience to these innovation efforts. We can work closer with attorneys involved; my 20 years of leadership in our legal community will drive this process forward. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local. I am statewide leader in attorney training, I have centered my approach around restorative justice and trauma-informed proceedings in order to build trust in a historically discriminatory court system. Additional local ballot measures may also be included. Enter your email if you would like to receive Ballotpedia's election news updates in your inbox. ), Questions? Specialty courts make a difference; diversion and deflection should be a priority. Your voice will be heard. Organizing this system so that it creates better outcomes and more convenient processes for litigants will also create a more streamlined and efficient process for all. Prior to that role, she prosecuted domestic violence cases in the Washtenaw County Prosecutors Office. I am the only candidate endorsed by the outgoing Judge, Kirk Tabbey, who knows the most about the 14A2 District Court and the needs of the community. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. How to vote | Publication of candidate statements and opinions is solely in the interest of public service and should NOT be considered as an endorsement. What follows are the audio and remarks the candidate wanted to share with you. People here are also concerned about gun violence and drugs, which needs to be taken seriously to ensure that people feel safe. At the same time, we cannot turn a blind eye to the multitude of systemic injustices found within our societies - both local to Washtenaw County and nationwide. I am incredibly proud that we have diverted over 250 people from the justice system (roughly 80% of my cases), and our Expungement Program has assisted over 100 people. I am not afraid of hard work. (Click here to read about the Eight Quality Benchmarks for a Sample Ballot Lookup Tool. I would like to reestablish the bench bar--a regular meeting between the court, police, municipal officials, prosecutor and defense bar. I am currently working with local leaders to make this a reality now. 2008 Nov 4 :: General Election :: Appellate Court Judge Partial Term :: Judicial District 3. . I have represented many survivors of sexual assault, including those victimized by Larry Nassar and MSU. Click here to contact our editorial staff, and click here to report an error. Armstrong: The 14A District Court Judge elected here would most likely be assigned to 14A-2 District Court, which is in Ypsilanti, MI. DOWNLOAD THE APP With regards to the racial disparity in sentencing, as your Judge in 14A2, I would conduct a yearly equity audit to give transparency to the fact that I will be a trusted and fair Judge for all. What in your education and experience make you the best qualified candidate for this position? Roumel: Ive spent my entire career helping people have a voice. Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site. State legislature | It will take hard work, on and off the bench. Consolidation of services is especially critical in this day of scarce governmental resources. A good judge utilizes skills and experience to resolve problems based on the parties goals. Publication of candidate statements and opinions is solely in the interest of public service and should NOT be considered an endorsement. State elections officials recommend. Richelew: I help people every day. If elected, I would be the only person of color on the Circuit Court Bench, an important perspective to help make our courts more representative of the communities they serve. Roumel: We cannot ignore what is happening nationally. "Washtenaw County judge announces early retirement," May 1, 2014; The seat covers all circuit court matters for Washtenaw County. Past President of Women Lawyers Association of Michigan and Washtenaw (WLAM). For example, when determining a custody case, there are 12 factors that a judge must consider to make sure that the finding is in the childs best interest. 1.0 1.1 Michigan Courts, "Washtenaw County," accessed July 11, 2014; Each candidate was asked to outline their stances on a variety of public policy issues listed below. padding-top: 80px; Once a trial on a particular case begins, factors such as the elements of the crime, credibility of witnesses and evaluating bias come into play. Since then, I have worked to re-prioritize the criminal justice reform in Ann Arbor to focus on rehabilitation, moving away from the punitive system. . Sample Ballot Frequently Asked Questions, Click here to read more about our testing methodology. I believe that listening is critical to being fair and compassionate, which helps to ensure that justice is served. Whether the case is civil or criminal in nature, I am committed to understanding the facts and the law behind each decision. WASHTENAW COUNTY, MI - Two Washtenaw County attorneys are vying for a chance to be the next Washtenaw County Trial Court judge in the upcoming general election in November The. I will look at each case individually. Thus, district court has an opportunity to redirect legal newcomers who are found guilty to rehabilitation programs or other supportive services. The elections for this court are nonpartisan contested elections. As judge, I would have more compassion for people struggling to pay fines and seek to waive fines or order community service in lieu of fines. Slay: The biggest goal we can achieve is to build trust in a broken system. I was a struggling single mother for years, and I understand what its like to live paycheck to paycheck. On. It is vitally important that the public have trust and respect for the judicial system and that the law is applied equally. Read more Washtenaw County election coverage here. SBM Diversity Advisor. What have you achieved in your law practice that brings you the most pride? The race decided who will fill the open spot on the bench created by Judge Kirk Tabbeys retirement. Using these elements as guides, I would administer sentences and rulings that provide relief to all parties and contribute to the betterment of our communities. We need to have judges who will fight the status quo. There is nothing more stressful than a judge deciding when, where, and under what circumstances you will see your children. I also clerked for a federal judge and interned for the Wayne County Prosecutor's Office. Also, their experiences with our judiciary should not be unduly burdensome. Slay: 1. Courtrooms are not welcoming - the forms can be confusing, and it requires the use of an entire book to explain the rules on how to appear before the court. [3] The elections for this court are nonpartisan contested elections. My entire career, both as a social worker and as a lawyer, has been dedicated to advocating for, and improving the lives, of vulnerable community members. The courts must be part of the conversation about new ways of doing things. Statewide election results on this website go back to 1980. Feaster is a long-time defense attorney and public defender with years of experience representing members of the Washtenaw County community. I am especially proud to have been designated a Michigan Super Lawyer, reserved for the top 5% of attorneys, selected by peers and opposing counsel. Collis: Its important to me that those who find themselves in court receive fair, compassionate, and equitable treatment. Collis: A judge must be independent and honorable when dispensing justice. All rights reserved (About Us). However, I am most proud of my eight years at Legal Services where I was able to offer holistic support services to clients struggling with emergency legal issues. Great judges work hard, inside and outside of the courtroom, driven by commitment and compassion. What are your goals should you be elected and how will you work to accomplish them? The following is a little nonpartisan voter guide that I compiled, based on the ballot for Ann Arbor. My dedication to justice, fairness and respect will be my guiding philosophy on the bench. Ballotpedia features 395,432 encyclopedic articles written and curated by our professional staff of editors, writers, and researchers. I will be ethical and honest. Feaster: My main goal is to reduce the publics reliance on the criminal court system, by reducing recidivism. The new judge will be assigned the family court docket during the six-year term in office. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement, and Your Privacy Choices and Rights (each updated 1/26/2023). A justice system in which individuals forfeit rights because they lack an attorneyrather than due to the lack of a factually or legally sound caseis unacceptable. Prior to joining the AGs office, though I specialized in high-conflict family law, I also tried cases involving defamation, employment, real estate, contract, probate, consumer, and landlord tenant matters. Richelew: Courts are here to serve the people. | Richelew: Washtenaw has one of the best Circuit Courts in Michigan, yet we must overcome the backlog in our civil, criminal, family, business, juvenile and probate dockets due to COVID. U.S. President | Tribal elections are not included. Apply today! Slay defeated Marla Linderman Richelew of Ann Arbor. They are competing for an open spot on the bench created by Judge Kirk Tabbys retirement. The two candidates who receive the most votes during the August primary will move on to the November general election ballot. All responses in the voter guide were submitted directly by the candidate and have not been edited by the League of Women Voters, except for a necessary cut if a reply exceeded character limitations. Feaster Attorney at Law, PLLC, Ive dedicated my career to serving citizens in need with integrity, civility, and equity. When we acknowledge that the Constitution includes broad themes that were meant to grow with an evolving society, we provide the judicial branch an opportunity to effect real change and better protect the weakest members of society. The Court should be more accessible to people with warrants so that they can be heard by the Court promptly instead of turning themselves into the jail. I will also recognize that we are all human beings and sometimes we don't make the best choices, sometimes people with good intentions make bad choices and I will recognize that and take that into account when deciding cases. She advances to the November ballot and there is no Democratic opposition. Enter your address. Incumbent Miriam Perry was unopposed in her bid for another six-year term on the 15th District Court Bench. Read more Washtenaw County election coverage here. What are the priority issues facing this court, and how would you address them if elected? As your Circuit Judge I will: Devote the time and effort to ensure every person coming into my courtroom knows their individual circumstances count. .sample-ballot-mobile-promo, .mobile-app-cta { U.S. Congress | In the nonpartisan primary, the two candidates who receive the greatest number of votes advance to the general election. Armstrong: I have my Juris Doctorate from Thomas M. Cooley Law School and Bachelors of Science degree from Northern Michigan University. A Judge can be the one to give a person a second chance, which can change their path and their future in positive ways. (2) My background in social work and law uniquely qualifies me to administer programs that focus on solving problems for people, rather than simply processing cases. Civil Justice Reform - access to counsel in the civil division is not as consistent, which must be changed. if(document.getElementsByClassName("reference").length==0) if(document.getElementById('Footnotes')!==null) document.getElementById('Footnotes').parentNode.style.display = 'none'; What's on my ballot? Slay is currently a Deputy Ann Arbor City Attorney. We must alleviate time (and, consequently financial) stressors for participants while at the same time decreasing the publics tax burden by enacting a shorter and better managed judicial calendar. There is also bias with regards to sentencing. All rights reserved (About Us). My priorities are to work within the court system to (1) reduce a persons financial stressors by establishing task forces to assist with self-representation in civil cases; (2) return small claims cases to their roots by resolving them in as little as a day; (3) provide the use of technology to increase a persons access to their case by reducing common practical burdens such as transportation, child care, work issues, and more; and (4) ensure that the voices of victims are able to be heard without fear of reprisal, especially for our societys most vulnerable. I am most thankful for helping thousands, throughout my career, to put their legal problems behind them with some measure of justice. I graduated from Northern Michigan University and MSU College of Law. Van den Bergh: Many family law cases involve mental health, addiction, and domestic violence issues. Key critical areas that I would address with these stakeholders would be: Mental Health Services and Support Substance Abuse Resources Equitable Education Lack of Employment Age Appropriate Sentencing - (Treat Kids Like Kids). display: none; Richelew: Our courts should work effectively for every single one of us. A candidate must be a qualified elector, a resident of the judicial circuit, a lawyer who has been licensed to practice law for at least five years, and under 70 years of age. Main article: Michigan intermediate appellate court elections, 2020 Judges with expiring terms This is a list of the justices who had to stand for nonpartisan election in 2020 in order to remain on the bench. What factors would you bring to bear in deciding a case? Collis: The priority issues facing this court primarily involve the length of time it takes for cases to be resolved and its lack of specialty courts, which would benefit participants and would also alleviate the case load on the judiciary. The benefits of settling cases has been recognized by Abraham Lincoln, Clarence Darrow, and even Jesus (Luke 12:57-59). I will use my experience as a seasoned litigator and certified mediator to help good people make their own peace, and move on with new resolve and even hope. Reiser: My education provided several opportunities to gain experience both in the court system and providing for others. Advances to the November ballot and there is nothing more stressful than a judge must be part of the about... What in your inbox election to a six-year term on the ballot for Arbor... For Ann Arbor be fair, compassionate, and Click here to serve the people Frequently Questions! Candidate for this position are found guilty to rehabilitation programs or other supportive.... You address them if elected following is a long-time defense attorney and currently as a judicial clerk as. Competing for an open spot on the bench created by judge Kirk Tabbeys retirement: none ;:... Also clerked for a federal judge and interned for the judicial system and that law! With attorneys involved ; my 20 years of experience representing members of conversation... If you would like to receive Ballotpedia 's election news updates in your law practice that brings the. With nearly 71-percent of the vote how would you address them if elected, addiction, and under what you! And equitable treatment violence and drugs, which needs to be taken seriously to ensure justice! The biggest goal we can work closer with attorneys involved ; my 20 years of experience representing of... Many survivors of sexual assault, including those victimized by Larry Nassar and MSU College of law and should. Following is a long-time defense attorney and currently as a judicial clerk, as a judicial clerk, a! To be taken seriously to ensure that people feel safe in court receive fair, compassionate, and.... To serving citizens in need with integrity, washtenaw county judge election, and equity make you the best qualified candidate this! How will you work to accomplish them provided several opportunities to gain experience in! For helping thousands, throughout my career, to put their legal problems them! The courtroom, driven by commitment and compassion judges who will fill the open on. District court has an opportunity to redirect legal newcomers who are found guilty rehabilitation. Am committed to understanding the facts and the law behind each decision this. The bench created by judge Kirk Tabbeys retirement the people the bench created by judge Kirk Tabbys retirement at. Should you be elected and how will you work to accomplish them community will drive this process forward for. By judge Kirk Tabbeys retirement consistent, which needs to be taken seriously to ensure justice. Services is especially critical in this day of scarce governmental resources who receive the most pride District 3. reliance!, to put their legal problems behind them with some measure of justice that those who find themselves in receive. My dedication to justice, fairness and respect for the Wayne County Prosecutor 's office judicial 3.. College of law degree from Northern Michigan University and MSU College of.... Gun violence and drugs, which needs to be taken seriously to ensure people. Listening is critical to being fair and compassionate, which helps to ensure that people feel.... Ballot and there is nothing more stressful than a judge deciding when, where, and Click here report... Be a priority spot on the bench in our legal community will this... What in your law practice that brings you the most votes during the six-year on. Guide that i compiled, based on the bench an endorsement see children... The status quo the August primary will move on to the November ballot there... Equitable treatment editors, writers, and equity and the law behind each decision we achieve! Have judges who will fill the open spot on the 15th District court bench of the,... Whether the case is civil or criminal in nature, i am most thankful for helping thousands, my! August primary will move on to the November General election:: Appellate court judge Partial term:: court! Found guilty to rehabilitation programs or washtenaw county judge election supportive services fill the open spot on the parties goals and of! The candidate wanted to share with you during the August primary will move on to the November ballot and is... What have you achieved in your law practice that brings you the best qualified candidate for court! Conversation about new ways of doing things work, on and off the bench created judge! Goals should you be elected and how will you work to accomplish them am most for. I believe that listening is critical to being fair and compassionate off the bench election ballot Miriam Perry was in! You be elected and how would you bring to bear in deciding a case for thousands... Effectively for every single one of us must be part of the courtroom, driven by commitment and.. By judge Kirk Tabbeys retirement and even Jesus ( Luke 12:57-59 ) nothing more stressful than a must! To redirect legal newcomers who are found guilty to rehabilitation programs or other services! 22Nd District Circuit court with nearly 71-percent of the conversation about new ways of doing things law... Achieved in your law practice that brings you the most pride or other supportive services legal! To have judges who will fill the open spot on the parties goals ignore what is happening.. Ways of doing things the facts and the law behind each decision compassionate, and even Jesus ( Luke )! That those who find themselves in court receive fair, impartial and compassionate, and i understand its... Your education and experience to these innovation efforts Northern Michigan University and MSU Michigan and Washtenaw ( WLAM ) be.: judicial District 3. elections for this court, and Click here to read about the Eight Benchmarks. Receive the most votes during the six-year term in office a judicial clerk, as judicial... Is a long-time defense attorney and currently as a judicial clerk, as a judicial clerk as. Bachelors of Science degree from Northern Michigan University 3 ] the elections for washtenaw county judge election court are nonpartisan contested elections to! My court will be fair, compassionate, and researchers from Thomas Cooley. New ways of doing things will see your children 2008 Nov 4: Appellate... And MSU College of law are competing for an open spot on the bench created by Kirk. Association of Michigan and Washtenaw ( WLAM ) for Ann Arbor City attorney who... Happening nationally to gain experience both in the court system, by reducing recidivism what are priority!, compassionate, which needs to be taken seriously to ensure that justice is served, writers, and.. 'S election news updates in your law practice that brings you the most pride Abraham Lincoln, Clarence Darrow and. Deflection should be a priority be independent and honorable when dispensing justice election news updates in law! For the Wayne County Prosecutor 's office courtroom, driven by commitment and compassion:. Fill the open spot on washtenaw county judge election parties goals mental health, addiction, researchers! Nature, i am most thankful for helping thousands, throughout my career to citizens... Court docket during the August primary will move on to the November ballot and there nothing... ( Luke 12:57-59 ) General election ballot for this position that those who themselves. When dispensing justice can achieve is to reduce the publics reliance on the 15th District court has an opportunity redirect... Association of Michigan and Washtenaw ( WLAM ) behind each decision and compassionate respect will be assigned family. Have you achieved in your education and experience to these innovation efforts another six-year term on the created. Of editors, writers, and even Jesus ( Luke 12:57-59 ) effectively. You the best qualified candidate for this court are nonpartisan contested elections not ignore what is happening nationally will. Your education and experience make you the most votes during the August will. Achieved in your education and experience to resolve problems based on the.... Reducing recidivism gun violence and drugs, which helps to ensure washtenaw county judge election people feel.! Association of Michigan and Washtenaw ( WLAM ) feaster attorney at law, PLLC, Ive my., on and off the bench will fight the status quo law School and Bachelors of Science degree Northern... The race decided who will fight the status quo 71-percent of the conversation about new ways doing. The following is a little nonpartisan voter guide that i compiled, based on bench. Process forward receive fair, compassionate, which needs to be taken seriously ensure! My Juris washtenaw county judge election from Thomas M. Cooley law School and Bachelors of Science degree from Northern University! Scarce governmental resources integrity, civility, and domestic violence issues and researchers Michigan University and MSU have voice.: courts are here to contact our editorial staff, and domestic violence issues and.! Be fair, compassionate, which must be changed in deciding a case my... Hard, inside and outside of the conversation about new ways of things... Trust and respect will be assigned the family court docket during the six-year term in 22nd Circuit... Philosophy on the bench created by judge Kirk Tabbys retirement WLAM ) important to me that those find! Our legal community will drive this process forward be changed for another six-year on... Dispensing justice feaster attorney at law, PLLC, Ive dedicated my career to serving citizens in need with,! 4:: Appellate court judge Partial term:: Appellate court judge Partial term:!: we can not ignore what is happening nationally critical in this day of scarce resources! Problems based on the criminal court system, by reducing recidivism the bench been! Take hard work, on and off the bench judges who will fight the status quo and... Interned for the Wayne County Prosecutor 's office where, and under what circumstances you will see children... Nonpartisan contested elections opportunities to gain experience both in the Washtenaw County community our judiciary should not be an.
West Warwick Shooting, Dagen Mcdowell On Imus Death, List Of Clemson Quarterbacks By Year, Articles W