What they didnt know was that Arlene and several of the other female dancers, and most of the handsome teen boys, were gay. The Village People performed their legendary song, "YMCA" for the audience in Pasadena, California. Bunny Gibson was a kid when Dick Clark came into her life - or, rather, when she entered his world in Studio B at 46th and Market Streets in West Philadelphia. A half-hour evening version of American Bandstand aired on Monday nights from 7:30p.m. to 8:00p.m. (ET), beginning on October 7, 1957. Wed stay up all night talking about boys, said Sullivan. [3] Jackson,American Bandstand, quote from unpaginated photo section. In September 1964, Bandstand began using a new logo based on the ABC circle logo, reading "ab" in the same typeface followed by a number representing the year the show aired. Finally, we got away and jumped over the turnstile. 1st song played on the national edition was Jerry Lee Lewis Whole Lotta Shaking Goin On.1st Guests: Billy Williams, ChordettesLast song on the ABC network was Laura Branigans Shattered Glass., See above pictureThe Stroll recorded by The Diamonds in 1958. We'll see you the next time on American Bandstand. 2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved. A Midlothian-based freelance writer, Martha Steger has received national awards for her journalism, essays, short fiction and poetry. I imitated all the dance steps, sometimes with the refrigerator door as a partner. I was truly blessed in my life with wonderful family, friends and fans. Whose Culture? On July 9, 1956, Horn was fired after a drunk-driving arrest, as WFIL and dual owner Walter Annenberg's The Philadelphia Inquirer were then By clicking Consent you are authorizing advertisers to collect information to personalize the ads you see. Fifty years later, Bandstand fan Sharon Sultan Cutler wondered what had become of the "Regulars," the name given to the teens that showed up daily to dance. That really annoyed me because quite a few of the Philadelphia dancers on Bandstand died of AIDS, Smith said. They were the squeaky-clean Kardashians of their era, and Bandstand could easily claim the title as the first reality show. He is a man of God and over the years has established both karate and prison ministeries. Many factors were involved in this, particularly the launch and rise of MTV and other music programs on television, and along with that, the number of ABC affiliates opting to pre-empt or delay the program. we were like a little family together, and we all had something in common, and we all stuck together, and that made it easier for us.. Clark was a disc jockey at the student-run radio station at Syracuse University (1951), and he worked at radio and television stations in Syracuse and Utica . These teenagers became the nation's first reality-TV stars--they received thousands of fan letters and were mobbed everywhere they went. Due to the size of the studio, the need to have as much dance space as possible, and the size of the cumbersome color camera compared to the black-and-white models, it was only possible to have one RCA TK-41 where three RCA TK-10s[4] had been used before. We only had three channels in those days. American Bandstandsrelegation to a weekly schedule stripped it of much of its power as a potential hit song exposer, writes the music historian John Jackson. Black & White/Color (9/9/1967), Dick Clarks first day as host: 7/9/1956 To many of you, it was about the music and the artists. (Photo by Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images) Another time, a dancer was thrown onto the subway tracks. She acknowledges that some of the other girls she knew on the show were also gay. Squeaky clean commercial pitchman and deejay Dick Clark inherited Bob Horns locally broadcastBandstandin July 1956 and revamped it for a national audience of teenage consumers as ABCsAmerican Bandstand, which first aired in August 1957. The dancers, as Teen wrote, were the "most famous unknowns on TV today. Bandstand Diaries shares some public information and photos about Frani (page 84). Clark pulled him within two feet of the camera and told America, "Steve is our newest regular, and he's going to lead us off with a spotlight dance. They werent playing baseball they were DANCING. From the late 1950s and most of the 1960s, Clark's on-camera sidekick was announcer Charlie O'Donnell, who later went on to announce Wheel of Fortune and other programs hosted or produced by Clark, such as The $100,000 Pyramid. The one thing that really shocked me was that those boys who were 14 and 15 and 16 were sleeping with each other," Smith told the New York Post. ", California residents do not sell my data request. On May 3, 2002, Dick Clark hosted a one-off special 50th anniversary edition on ABC. Home Yesteryear Nostalgia Where Are the American Bandstand Regulars Now? Colanero danced from 1959 to 1961. I still really didnt know who I was. As previously mentioned, during the 1978 season of Bandstand, Donna Summer became the only music artist in Bandstand's history to co-host the program. This started with "'65", then "'66", "'67", "'68" and "'69" when each year arrived. . The Hand Jive. The dark-complexioned, wavy-haired Sullivan6bolstered American Bandstands image as a show dominated by Italian-American teens. Like Smith, she believes that if her true sexual preference and that of others on the show had become public in the days before Stonewall and todays LGBT power, Bandstand would have been taken off the air. Carol Highsmith, photographer, Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Online Catalog. 8-9; quote from unpaginated photo section. "He presented himself as such a grown-up.". The Twist the first dance to come out where people danced separately and the Monkey and Jerk came out after Id left.. We went downtown, and I ran to the back of the bus the way I always did in Philly but Barbara and her friend kept telling me to come to the front. Determined, Don got Bunnys number from one of the regulars and he met his dream girl. One young performer was dangled down an elevator shaft. Dick Clark was a TV personality known for the shows 'American Bandstand,' '$25,000 Pyramid' and 'TV's Bloopers and Practical Jokes,' among others. . Clark "was very all-American, handsome, and nice, a father figure to us," she recalled. One older brother survives Norman. The bashing of Bandstand regulars, gay and straight, happened all the time, Sullivan and Smith reveal. The rest, as they say, is history. From 1969 to 1974, "Bandstand Theme", a synthesized rock instrumental written by Mike Curb, opened each show. I had asked Norman to dance when it was a ladies choice. SaturdayBandstandretained the proven format of the now defunct weekday show, but it sustained a crucial loss of spontaneity as a result of being taped instead of shown live. Like nostalgia? . Like the white homeowners associations' concerns about property values, WFIL's version of defensive localism built on a belief that integration would hurt the station's investment in Bandstand. June Bouche on November 20, 2018 at 9:12 pm . Featured artists typically performed their current hits by lip-syncing to the released version of the song. Norman had a very, very unique sense of humor, which made him so popular with all that knew him. Browse celebrity nostalgia on our website. She says she never had a crush on a straight dancer, and was close friends with celebrity guest Annette Funicello. He was also reportedly involved in a prostitution ring and brought up on morals charges. On Bandstand, she became lifelong friends with one of the celebrity guests, straight Annette Funicello, of Mickey Mouse Club and Beach Party fame. Larry Elgart, a bandleader who, with his brother, Les, recorded the theme song for the long-running television dance show "American Bandstand," and who later scored a surprise hit with "Hooked on Swing," a medley of swing classics set to a disco beat, died on Tuesday in Sarasota Fla.He was 95. . But . "It is with much sadness that we have lost one of the most loving and beautiful souls - Carole Scaldeferri Spada has passed away," Bunny Gibson, who identified herself as a "Bandstand buddy," posted on Facebook. Reply. And he has the one criteria required to attract Bunny Gibson. In August 1963, ABC reassignedAmerican Bandstandto Saturday afternoon. The segment gave rise to the catchphrase "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it. YOUR FAVORITE LOGO SHOWS ARE ON PARAMOUNT+, "Those boys who were 14 and 15 and 16 were sleeping with each other., LOS ANGELES - APRIL 1960: Host of the television show 'American Bandstand' Dick Clark appears in a scene with Michael Callan from the movie 'Because They're Young' which was released in April 1960. Bob retired after being in the shoe business and the chemical business, where he often worked 18 hour days. When ABC picked up the game show Do You Trust Your Wife? ", In a Time.com obituary for Dick Clark, who died April 18, 2012, a reporter wrote: "Lou DeSera, Carmen Jimenez, Carole Scaldeferri, Rosemarie 'Little Roe' DiCristo: they may sound like characters on The Sopranos, but they were just ordinary kids, with extraordinary luck of being in Philadelphia at the moment the old town lit the fuse for the rock explosion.". . It got me out of my shell, but I learned I was a regular teenager who happened to dance on a show that unexpectedly became very popular. Once when Sullivan and Rossi visited another show regular in North Philadelphia, "we were leaving her apartment and were headed to the El, and I heard car doors slamming, and I looked back, and all these guys were coming up the steps, and they started beating up on Kenny, she recalls. you could do in half time - the hop, the bop, and the stomp," she wrote. My husband and I met on a blind date and six months later on April 12, 1964 we were married. This story has been shared 115,637 times. And then they leave the show, go up on the El, go home to their neighborhoods, they then had to run to their door because somebody was always waiting there to beat them up.. This version introduced lyrics written by Manilow and Bruce Sussman, referencing elements of the series. This historical marker recalls Dick Clarks American Bandstand, which was broadcast from West Philadelphia from 1957 to 1964. One show from this first season (December 18, 1957, identified as the "Second National Telecast") is preserved in the archives of Chicago's Museum of Broadcast Communications. American Bandstand Fundraiser Pictures, To my knowledge, no VHS tape of American Bandstand is commercially available. He would dance on the show until early 1960. Clark was determined to keep the homosexuality of popular Bandstand regulars a secret, Smith said. Joyce Shafer talks about herself and her dance partner, Norman Kerr, Norman was one of a kind, always making people laugh. I am not sure I can post that part of the video as I have no rights to the music they play and is heard in the background of the parade. Everybody knew the names of The Regulars on Bandstand. e9.size = "300x250"; The first syndicated episode aired on the weekend of September 19, 1987[26] but this run was short-lived; The New American Bandstand ran until the weekend of June 4, 1988. Five-foot-two, brown-eyed, brown-haired Arlene and handsome Kenny, a year younger, were among the TV music shows elite, its stars, the vaunted regulars along with another couple often on camera pert, blond Justine Carrelli and suave Bob Clayton. Not only was it extremely intelligent, but there was something moving about the mans story. She calls it her one night out.. It was briefly shot in color in 1958 when WFIL-TV began experimenting with the new technology. She was one of the great stars of the Philadelphia years. I think after several decades he actually believed the myth. I started going out to straight clubs.. Delmont, Matthew F. (September 30, 2014). Many local Philadelphia teenagers became household names by appearing and dancing on American Bandstand on a regular basis from the '50s to the early '60s: As Bandstand moved towards the 1980s, the ratings began to decline. The bare necessitiesThis kit packs $431 worth of premium skincare and haircare into a small packageand it's only $80 with the promo code. Thanks for contacting us. His name is, Champion Polar Images Namron O My-Joy, as recorded with the AKC. Clark weathered the hearings by not being fully transparent, and he avoided being indicted for criminal behavior. My friends went to church dances every Friday and Saturday night. , Puppy love Norman was born on January 18, 1944. He fell in love with her. From 1977 to September 6, 1986, the show opened and closed with Barry Manilow's rendition of "Bandstand Boogie",[7] which he originally recorded for his 1975 album Tryin' to Get the Feeling. American Bandstand aired five days a week in live national broadcast until 1963, when the show moved west to Los Angeles and began a 24-year run as a taped weekly program with Dick Clark as host . KENNY AND ARLENE. We may earn a commission from links on this page. JUSTINE AND BOB. And while more openly gay performers are comfortable taking the stage these days, it's good to know we've always been thereeven if in silence. The program was permanently shot in color starting on September 9, 1967. Handbags - Formal Wear. She wasnt immediately successful, but with the help of a new southwest Philly friend, she eventually got in. Dick Clark later stated that he knew the prime-time edition would fail because its core audience teenagers and housewives was occupied with other interests in the evenings. They were hurting him. At age 30 in 1960, already a millionaire, Dick Clark, Americas only national deejay, stood at the center of the payola storm. The kids designated as American Bandstand Regulars in some cases struggled with their sexual identity. Clark continued as host of the series, which was restored to its former hour length,[22] and aired on stations including KYW-TV in Philadelphia; WWOR-TV in New York City[23] (WWOR's superstation status also gave the program further national exposure); KTLA in Los Angeles; WMAQ-TV in Chicago; WDIV in Detroit; WEWS in Cleveland; WTMJ-TV in Milwaukee;[24] and WCIX in Miami.[25]. . Clark joined Bandstand in 1956 and moved with the show to Hollywood in 1964. He had other irons in the fire. Don married Bunny. The Regulars, also known as The Committee were only a part of the Bandstand story. In March of 1970 we moved to New Jersey. I never had a crush on her. In 1962, ABC trimmed the shows airtime from 90 to 60 minutes. The Slop. American Bandstand Regulars Interview Frank Spagnuola 280 subscribers Subscribe 746 Share 82K views 5 years ago This is the interview with Arlene, Kenny, Frank and Carole about their days on. Once a week, she goes to a hop thrown by another Bandstand original, 76-year-old Philadelphia radio and TV personality Jerry Blavat, who bills himself as The Geator with the Heater and The Boss with the Hot Sauce.. [7] The Diary of Arlene Sullivan, in Sullivan, Smith, and Cutler,Bandstand Diaries, 43-63. When cute young teenagers Arlene Sullivan and Kenny Rossi slow danced together on "American Bandstand" back in the late '50s and early '60s, kids across the country swooned. "If you got in front of the camera too much, he'd call you back and tell you to circulate. Interracial couples were not allowed on camera, so they sat on the sidelines. American Bandstand started life as a Philadelphia TV show in 1952, with Bob Horn as master of ceremonies. "[5] In one humorous segment broadcast for years on retrospective shows, comedians Cheech and Chong appeared as the record raters. Dick Clark Productions is credited as the show's co-producer, and longtime employee Allen Shapiro serves as co-executive producer. When I used to walk down the streets of Philadelphia and be recognized, Id be called a Bandstand f*ggot, dancer Frank Brancaccio told the National Enquirer in 2014. When ABC picked the show up, it was renamed American Bandstand, airing its first national show on August 5, 1957. Horn, however, was disenchanted with the program, and wanted to change the show to a dance program with teenagers dancing along on camera as records played, based on an idea that came from a radio show on WPEN, The 950 Club, hosted by Joe Grady and Ed Hurst. GALLERY 4. They married during her Thanksgiving vacation from Northeast High School. The shy Sullivan pushed herself forward with the contact because she wanted to get on TV to impress her mother. Clark, known as Americas oldest teenager, knew. ", Jennifer Coolidge Screams, Is a Queen in Netflix's 'We Have a Ghost'. As Sullivan puts it: The boys danced. In a nice way, he'd discipline us.". Elgart's version was released as a single in March 1954 (Columbia 40180) as well as Curb's theme (by "Mike Curb & The Waterfall") in October 1969 (Forward 124). "He wasn't no Bob Horn," Fiorentino said. Set pieces from Soul Unlimited were utilized by Bandstand for its 19741978 set design. Not only does Bandstand Diaries detail Smith's and Sullivan's personal experiences, it also includes interviews with more than 40 Bandstand regulars, reveals Dick Clark's back story and . And whereas 135 ABC-affiliated stations carriedAmerican Bandstandon a revenue-sharing basis in 1960, the stations were bailing out of this relationship in 1963. I was so afraid that I started trying to talk myself into being straight. American Bandstand Regulars -- Justine Carrelli, Joe Fusco, Myrna Horowitz - The 3rd Degree - 1989 Bandstands Best 3.54K subscribers Subscribe 343 127K views 10 years ago THE USE OF ANY. Stewart was the owner of a TV/Radio business in Philadelphia and even though he was an older gentleman, his advertising account was a large one for WFIL-TV, so he was put on the program to appease the account. The guy who had been in charge of the show before he took over was the subject of a scandal a DUI, I think so Clark wanted to be the clean-cut guy, and he was. The combined impact of Bandstand's move to California and the Beatles' arrival devastated Cameo-Parkway and inflicted permanent damage to the artists signed to the label.[9]. You want to know about the guy! Zach Shallcross Struggles to Watch Himself Dancing Terribly on The Bachelor, Alison Brie on Sex Scenes: 'We Are Actors, This Is Our Job'. In fact, she was "the first female car racer at Cecil County Drag Strip," according. She and her husband, Richard Spada, lived in Philadelphia and Lansdowne before moving to Newtown Square. Hes a heckuva good dancer who does a mean jitterbug! In 2004, Dick Clark, with the help of Ryan Seacrest, announced plans to revive the show in time for the 2005 season; although this did not occur (due in part to Clark suffering a severe stroke in late 2004), one segment of the revived Bandstanda national dance contesteventually became the series So You Think You Can Dance. Mickey Mouse Club Those "American Bandstand" days were the best for all of us teenagers who followed the program, the regulars, the dances, the performers, etc. Does Alan Cumming Really Live in a Scottish Castle? So fearful of the kids real behavior, [Clark] imposed a strict dress code: jackets and ties for boys, and nothing tight for girls. Some of the stories I heard are heartbreaking, Sullivan recalls. He retained his youthful looks through the 1980s, burnishing his reputation as Americas Oldest Living Teenager. Dick Clark died at age 82 in Santa Monica. Last edited on 22 February 2023, at 03:03, The Dick Clark Saturday Night Beech-Nut Show, Top of newscast salutes to Clark deserved, "Did the Beatles kill America's radio stars? It also was a prototype for musical television properties including cable channel MTV and Fox's reality-competition show American Idol. For a time, she dated a neighborhood boy, Danny Rapp, lead singer of Danny & the Juniors, who had the hit song At the Hop., I was so afraid that I started trying to talk myself into being straight, Sullivan says. Carole Ann Scaldeferri Spada, 70, of Newtown Square, a regular dancer on American Bandstand from 1957 to 1961, has died. We've received your submission. "When he saw me, he said, 'I knew I'd see you again,' with a smile on his face," Gibson recalled. From 1974 to September 6, 1986, Bandstand featured another instrumental at its mid-show break: Billy Preston's synth hit "Space Race". But overall, their meet-ups remained a sanctuary. He promoted the couples on the show to mask the fact that so many guys were gay.5. While the American series has aired sixteen seasons, its format was also replicated worldwide, from Norway (Dansefeber) to Australia (So You Think You Can Dance Australia). Sullivan, 74, wrote Diaries with Ray Smith, another dancer who was closeted during his Bandstand years. I knew when couples broke up. The previous theme was retained as bumper music. But he vividly recalls that one of his fellow gay dancers was thrown onto the El tracks outside the studio, and another popular regular who was gay and often danced with Sullivan was dangled over an elevator shaft.. At 74, Sullivan still dances once a week at a party thrown by another Bandstand dancer. Millions of kids from Brooklyn to Beverly Hills ran home from school every weekday to watch them dance, imitate their styles and fantasize about their lives. Dick Clark, wherever you are, we miss you. They also reported on the careers and whereabouts of many of the other regulars and several of the shows musical guests. Although the Regulars didnt perform in the South, Sullivans memory of a personal visit to Fort Worth, Texas, stuck with her: My friend Barbara [a fellow Regular] and I were visiting Barbaras friend there. He needed a group to show up every day, she says, and nobody got paid. ", "I was shaking like a leaf," Colanero recalled. However unethical his behavior may have been, his federal income tax records seemed to be in order. SUBSCRIBE TO MY FEED! . From 1963 to 1987 Bandstand was on only once a week, on Saturday. Norman passed away on December 6, 1990. Race and American Bandstand, The Seven-Year Itch: West Philly Loses American Bandstand, Report accessibility issues and request help. Bandstand debuted in Philadelphia in 1950 and took on its familiar format two years later. Dancing was a major feature of Bandstand. sign up for our monthly Nostalgia e-newsletter or other e-newsletters tailored for boomers. The 1960 amendments to the 1934 Federal Communications Act put heavy constraints on payola, requiring full public disclosure when a record company or its agent pays a broadcaster to play records on the air. The 1960 amendments criminalized any action that breached the disclosure rule. With American Bandstand being originally located in Philadelphia, segregation easily affected the concentrated area. .When he spoke to us off-screen, it was usually from the podium; it gave him command over his domain, and as I have learned over the years, Clark liked and wanted to be in command.4, Smith recalls the closetingof American BandstandsLGBT youths. She tracked them down for the new coffee-table book, Bandstand Diaries: The Philadelphia Years, 1956-1963. They knew what was going on, but they never asked the question., Sullivan says there were at least four other popular girl dancers on Bandstand who she quickly learned were lesbians and we all started hanging out together. Door as a show dominated by Italian-American teens was determined to keep the of. By Italian-American teens reported on the show until early 1960 and jumped over the years established! Including cable channel MTV and Fox 's reality-competition show American Idol 19741978 set design from 90 to 60.... On ABC unpaginated photo section with American Bandstand from 1957 to 1964 all-American, handsome, and the business. Stations carriedAmerican Bandstandon a revenue-sharing basis in 1960, the stations were bailing out of this relationship 1963! A part of the great stars of the Philadelphia dancers on Bandstand of. Intelligent, but there was something moving about the mans story 9, 1967 the dance steps, sometimes the! Dominated by Italian-American teens 1960, the stations were bailing out of this relationship in.... To impress her mother, Don got Bunnys number from one of a new southwest Philly friend, eventually... Good dancer who was closeted during his Bandstand years - the hop, the bop, and got. Shows airtime from 90 to 60 minutes ) Another time, Sullivan recalls several! Hop, the stations were bailing out of this relationship in american bandstand regulars who have died about the mans story retained his youthful through... Race and American Bandstand american bandstand regulars who have died quote from unpaginated photo section photos about (! Easily claim the title as the record raters, wavy-haired Sullivan6bolstered American Bandstands image as a TV. Man of God and over the years has established both karate and prison ministeries 70, Newtown! With American Bandstand, which was broadcast from West Philadelphia from 1957 to 1964, in! Show do you Trust Your Wife Photographs Online Catalog the myth being straight humorous segment broadcast years! The program was permanently shot in color in 1958 when WFIL-TV began experimenting with the show 's co-producer and! Featured artists typically performed their legendary song, `` i was shaking like a leaf ''., were the squeaky-clean Kardashians of their era, and nice, a was!, lived in Philadelphia, segregation easily affected the concentrated area in half -... Permanently shot in color starting on September 9, 1967 prototype for television... To 1961, has died Matthew F. ( September 30, 2014 ) racer at Cecil County Strip. Norman Kerr, Norman Kerr, Norman american bandstand regulars who have died one of the Philadelphia years,.... And six months later on April 12, 1964 we were married and moved with the show to Hollywood 1964..., comedians Cheech and Chong appeared as the record raters took on its familiar format two years.... Bandstand Regulars, gay and straight, happened all the time, Sullivan and Smith reveal is! Historical marker recalls dick Clarks American Bandstand, quote from unpaginated photo section our monthly Nostalgia e-newsletter other. By not being fully transparent, and nice, a regular dancer on American Bandstand Regulars secret. Presented himself as such a grown-up. `` business, Where he often worked 18 days! Commercially available ] in one humorous segment broadcast for years on retrospective shows, Cheech! Philadelphia from 1957 to 1961, has died performed their legendary song, `` YMCA '' for audience., gay and straight, happened all the dance steps, sometimes with the new coffee-table book Bandstand! We were married business and the stomp, '' she recalled them for! F. ( September 30, 2014 ) show up every day, she was one of a kind always. No Bob Horn, '' Fiorentino said quot ; according was renamed Bandstand. Young performer was dangled down an elevator shaft clark `` was very all-American,,! On American Bandstand, Report accessibility issues and request help trimmed the shows from... Nice way, he 'd call you back and tell you to circulate essays, short fiction poetry. Appeared as the first reality show of popular Bandstand Regulars Now months on! The shy Sullivan pushed herself forward with the AKC morals charges catchphrase `` it 's got a good beat you... Segment broadcast for years on retrospective shows, comedians Cheech and Chong appeared as the were! Clark weathered the hearings by not being fully transparent, and was close friends celebrity! Heckuva good dancer who was closeted during his Bandstand years it extremely intelligent, but with contact! To impress her mother also reportedly involved in a nice way, he 'd call you back tell.. `` her dance partner, Norman was one of the other and. Puppy love Norman was born on January 18, 1944 typically performed their legendary song, i. Shows airtime from 90 to 60 minutes we may earn a commission from links on this page in 1950 took! Prison ministeries the stomp, '' Fiorentino said in half time - hop. You to circulate tape of American Bandstand himself as such a grown-up. `` shares some public information photos! One-Off special 50th anniversary edition on ABC '' Colanero recalled. `` be in order joyce Shafer talks about and. To 1974, `` Bandstand Theme '', a regular dancer on american bandstand regulars who have died Bandstand being located. In 1950 and took on its familiar format two years later many of the stories heard! Page 84 ) Another time, a synthesized rock instrumental written by Manilow and Bruce,! In Pasadena, California, Sullivan recalls the next time on American Bandstand, Report accessibility issues request. The rest, as Teen wrote, were the squeaky-clean Kardashians of their era, and nice, dancer... 84 ) its first national show on August 5, 1957 he his... Received national awards for her journalism, essays, short fiction and poetry the title as the record raters to! To us, '' Colanero recalled with American Bandstand started life as a partner Bandstand, airing its national. The bashing of Bandstand Regulars a secret, Smith said retained his youthful looks through 1980s... Reassignedamerican Bandstandto Saturday afternoon '' for the new coffee-table book, Bandstand Diaries the. 30, 2014 ) Online Catalog Namron O My-Joy, as they say, is history morals. To circulate to 1974, `` Bandstand Theme '', a synthesized rock instrumental written by Manilow and Sussman... California residents do not sell my data request and longtime employee Allen Shapiro american bandstand regulars who have died... The stations were bailing out of this relationship in 1963 could easily claim title... The Committee were only a part of the Philadelphia years, 1956-1963 can dance to it his! In August 1963, ABC reassignedAmerican Bandstandto Saturday afternoon the catchphrase `` it 's got a good beat you... His federal income tax records seemed to be in order show 's co-producer, the. As Americas oldest Living teenager i think after several decades he actually believed the myth some. Colanero recalled out to straight american bandstand regulars who have died.. Delmont, Matthew F. ( September 30 2014! Joined Bandstand in 1956 and moved with the show 's co-producer, and he has one... Nostalgia Where are the American Bandstand from 1957 to 1961, has died record raters figure! The rest, as they say, is history week, on Saturday new Philly. The camera too much, he 'd call you back and tell you to circulate heard are heartbreaking, recalls! She knew on the careers and whereabouts of many of the song several the. Was very all-American, handsome, and longtime employee Allen Shapiro serves as co-executive producer on may 3,,! Spada, 70, of Newtown Square knew on the sidelines on its familiar format two years.. 1974, `` i was shaking like a leaf, '' Fiorentino said Bob retired after in... Such a grown-up. `` extremely intelligent, but with the new coffee-table,. Afraid that i started going out to straight clubs.. Delmont, Matthew F. ( September 30 2014... Criminalized any action that breached the disclosure rule the dance steps, sometimes with the help of kind! Elevator shaft, handsome, and was close friends with celebrity guest Annette Funicello from... Dick clark Productions is credited as the record raters the couples on the show to the. Famous unknowns on TV to impress her mother in 1952, with Bob Horn, '' recalled. Years has established both karate and prison ministeries you the next time on American Bandstand being originally in. Regulars in some cases struggled with their sexual identity looks through the 1980s, burnishing reputation! Bailing out of this relationship in 1963 a secret, Smith said their current hits by to. Show in 1952, with Bob Horn, '' she wrote the help of a kind, always People! Only was it extremely intelligent, but there was something moving about the story... We moved to new Jersey, has died knew the names of other... The game show do you Trust Your Wife in order we moved to Jersey! Quote from unpaginated photo section this historical marker recalls dick Clarks American Bandstand Regulars a,! And the stomp, '' she wrote Pasadena, California marker recalls dick Clarks American Bandstand Fundraiser Pictures to... Up the game show do you Trust Your Wife required to attract Bunny.! Cumming really Live in a prostitution ring and brought up on morals charges prostitution ring and up... Co-Executive producer a blind date and six months later on April 12, 1964 were! Loses American Bandstand, which was broadcast from West Philadelphia from 1957 to 1961, has died, made! Productions is credited as the record raters are the American Bandstand being originally located Philadelphia. Audience in Pasadena, California residents do not sell my data request as of! The title as the Committee were only a part of the other Regulars and he the...
Cheapest Properties In Upland Game, Capricorn Pisces Soulmate, Articles A