But he paused after putting his key in the ignition. Can the same be said of Floydor even of his PR apprentice, McGregor? Having your legacy, finances, and faculties intact. On defense, this means being okay with the offense completing short passes over the middle because it keeps the clock running. [71] Ward spoke to HBO in the post fight interview about fighting Kovalev next saying: "I'm excited, I'm looking forward to it. As a professional he fought at two weight categories in the Super Middleweight and Light Heavyweight divisions, picking up and retiring with an impressive undefeated boxing record of 32 fights and victories (16 KOs). [62], Boxing Scene reported In January 2016, Ward's light heavyweight debut was set against Cuban boxer Sullivan Barrera (17-0, 12 KOs) at the Oracle Arena. Stop Cop City (SCC) or Defend Atlanta Forest is a decentralized social movement in Atlanta, Georgia, United States, whose goal is to stop construction of the Atlanta Public Safety Training Center by the Atlanta Police Foundation and the City of Atlanta.Opponents of the facility are concerned about the growth of policing in the city, which has witnessed several protests against police violence . I said hed be all right, but he was out of it, Ward recalled. EP 52: Heather Hardy and Ronica Jeffrey on Women Boxing, Tyson Fury On Brother Tommy: "If He Loses To Jake Paul Then Hes Finished With The Boxing", Boxing Insider Fight Night: 8 Rds. [61], On November 12, 2015, in advance of his upcoming move up to the light heavyweight division, Ward vacated his WBA super middleweight title. Whether that be the body jab, left hook to the liver, the right to the body, or short sharp shots on the inside. Yet his role in boxing was never descended from Muhammad Alis brash hero, Mike Tysons villain, or Floyd Mayweather Jr.s Money-obsessed anti-hero. That night is the first game of the Western Conference Finals for the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena. A right hand from Ward had Kovalev in trouble, which was followed by several body shots, including a low blow. But we also got a bad decision, which is not what boxing needed. Andre Ward was created with an Irish American father along with an African-American mother. NABF Super Middleweight Title (February 2009; 1 defense) WBO International Light Heavyweight Title (August 2016; 0 defenses) World Titles . We wanted to fight on the inside and on the outside, and we pulled it off tonight. ("Son of God") is regarded pound for pound as one of the best champions in the last 10 years. But getting back to Wards exact style as I mentioned earlier in this article. All three judges scored the fight lop-sided 120108 for Ward, who said post-fight of his win, "This means a lot to me. Soaking in the response, Ward shook his head. Ward has been quoted in the past in saying how the jab is a lost art in terms of how it is used and thrown. ESPN had it 118110 in favor of Ward. But just like the great champions, his defense was just very good fundamentals for the most part. Indeed, he looked less like a stereotypical boxer than an MTV heartthrob or an Abercrombie & Fitch model. MARK RALSTON/AFP/Getty Images Soaking in the response, Ward shook his head. I dont play the game of me pouring my heart out for 30 minutes and then some writer has his narrative in place and just wants a few of my quotes to validate his story.. Of course Ward, like all conjurers, has been challenged to reveal his secrets. The event produced a live gate of $3.3 million from 10,066 tickets sold, including complimentary tickets, the full attendance was announced as 13,310. [18][19] Ward, defending the WBA super middleweight title, outclassed an opponent who spent most of the fight with his back against the ropes. [10][11], Ward's first fight in the tournament took place in his hometown of Oakland, California, against Ring Magazine #1 ranked and joint tournament favorite Mikkel Kessler (42-1, 32 KO) on November 21, 2009. Like Joe Louis, he lost his first amateur contest. I know the great ones that have gone before me who said some of the same things Im saying and didnt finish strong. Its a dangerous fight., I know. Ward still has a copy of the sign-up sheet. This isnt to say theyre bad men at heart. Grant Park Counseling Group. Andre Ward is knocked down in the fourth round by Darnell Boone during their middleweight fight on November 19, 2005 at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon. Andre Ward, after an extended layoff, promotional issues and three pedestrian comeback fights, is finally ready to face an elite opponent again. Couldn't get caught up in the first defense too much mentally. An MRI later revealed that Ward injured his lead left hand on which he relied for landing hooks to Froch's head. Ward noticeably stiffened, but signed the merchandise before kissing his aunt on the cheek. [54] Roc Nation did reach out to HBO, where Ward had worked as an analyst previously, but upon hearing his opponent, they passed on the opportunity to showcase Ward's long-awaited return. The American would always invest in these shots against the majority of the fighters he fought. Unfortunately for Ward, he was tremendously good, and it was detrimental to him as an entertaining fighter for the casual. I cramped up, and I got too tense." Our father came from Oklahoma and he was a racist. [citation needed]. [65] 8,532 fans packed the arena on fight night. Every single time. I was walking back to the hotel where everybody was staying and I saw a Rolls-Royce. Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Interest-Based Ads | EU Privacy Rights | Cookie Policy | Manage Preferences. 1030 Grant Street Southeast. WBA super middleweight title. He put my medal on. Dawson started his career at super middleweight, but hadn't fought at the weight since February 2006. What a loser. Offers online therapy. Ward claimed a shoulder injury that required surgery was the reason for his inactivity, but the WBC claimed that Ward had not provided any medical evidence or even given them a rough availability date. This earned Ward the Comeback of the Year award by The Ring. Most opponents could really not compete with Ward when they were in this situation. But more importantly, accurate hard-landed punches will more likely hurt your opponent than hitting gloves/arms. Indeed, he has not lost a fight since 1998, when he was 13. Its in a cul-de-sac on a quiet, narrow street. But Ive taken punishment. Abraham entered having lost two of his previous three bouts. Andre Ward of the US celebrates after defeating Arthur Abraham of Germany during their WBA Super middleweight Championship bout at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles, California on May 14, 2011. For the most part, the American would float between stances using a. I did some things well, but I felt I could have improved in other areas. But for Ward, the jab was a tool to use the opportunity to slip up on the inside on some opponents, much like the great Roberto Duran would do as well. [63] Barrera was risking his IBF mandatory position in this fight. . Yet there are those who actually find Wards lack of swagger refreshing. [83] CompuBox stats showed that Kovalev landed more punches, 126 of 474 punches; Ward landed 116 out of 337 thrown This pattern was repeated for many years over the course of Wards adolescence. [85][86][87], Kovalev's manager Egis Klimas announced that negotiations had begun for the rematch between Ward and Kovalev. He attributes his self-described "formless" style to years of studying Roy Jones Jr., Bernard Hopkins, and Floyd Mayweather Jr.[112] Ward also makes effective use of the jab to the body while out of punching range. [75], After being knocked down in the second round, he won a controversial decision with all three judges scoring the fight 114113 in favor of Ward. The venue was set up to hold 14,227. Everyone said he did everything wrong, but he got away with it, he said. It hurt me so bad my dad was taken like that. This showed in round 7 when Brand's right eye suddenly started to swollen up. [40][41], The fight was watched by an average 1.3 million viewers on HBO. But he moved up to light heavyweight last year so he could face Kovalev, a fearsome puncher, who is 30-0-1 with 26 knockouts and in 2011 beat an opponent so badly that he died shortly after the bout. Frank Duke Ward had once boxed as an amateur heavyweight and supported his family with a glass business. I'm happy and excited because the fans had a good time, and there were a lot of people here, but I'm not 100 percent happy with my performance. A new study of more than 12,000 participants found a link between taking vitamin D supplements and living dementia-free longer. Besides, Ward, in case you dont know, is also an amazing fighter. But I cant say I agree with it.. CompuBox statistics showed that Ward landed 243 of 573 punches thrown (42%), whilst Froch landed 156 of 683 punches (23%). I also have a lot of reason to be. No warning. When his father would refuse to give her money for drugs, Ward remembered her hitting him. The fight took place on May 14, 2011, at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California. [82] Gennady Golovkin's trainer, Abel Sanchez, scored the fight 114112 for Kovalev. Ward himself has a unique boxing style which is a mash up of many styles into one, Hi, I'm Jamie, and welcome to Boxing Life! With the grace of God I did.. Although Ward himself was a massive success in his career. In the co-featured non-televised portion of the card, heavyweight world contender Cristobal Arreola took on Nagy Aguilera of the Dominican Republic. Much like Joe Louis, he would do it while fencing with his jab, before unleashing his huge power shots. And in a word of grownup problems, its nice to see the grownups take center stage every once in a while. [8] Green won the bout, and had hoped to fight Ward later in the year. I give him credit. I'll see you in November." He uses and mixes elements of certain styles depending on the situation in front of him. You aint gonna get away with anything. His pastor, former NFL running back Napoleon Kaufman, has played one of the biggest roles in Wards life since he got his life back on track after his fathers death. As the high-tech Aerospace and Defense Industry continues to advance, organizations are constantly seeking ways to increase efficiency and productivity while improving safety for their employees. He claimed that it was done to make him look "vulnerable and expose him with weight loss. But gradually his son discovered the old man had his own kryptonite: He had secretly battled addiction to heroin since before Ward was born. You got what you asked for -- now you have to see me on June 17. How many times did they bet against Floyd? Jones asked Wards permission to wear his Olympic gold medal into the ring. Ward would usually try to battle with his stronger left arm to throw uppercuts or hooks at this point. When asked about the potential mega fight against Kovalev, Ward said, "It's never a problem. But he went on to fight 119 times in all as an amateur and lost only four more bouts. When I was a kid, the hill nearby and these streets seemed huge. He dreads receiving another call like the one he received about his dad. The case has been to court or arbitration on 3 separate occasions. [27] Ward started out slow with Abraham, trying to find a way to penetrate his tight defense. [37], Ward's next fight was announced on June 22, 2012, to take place at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California on September 8, 2012, against The Ring and lineal light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson. It was my mother who was gone. Every prizefighter crosses his own Rubicon before he climbs half-naked between the ropes and steps foot on an illuminated canvas. Ill never forget that day. But he also has the poised glance of a master croupier, giving away nothing while sizing up and processing all available data. Many claim his boxing style is boring, and to a certain degree, I do understand why people think this is the case. I don't feel cheated. When I speak about this, I dont come from an ignorant place: I know what it is to be biracial when both sides dont accept you and you have that confusion of not feeling accepted, he said. Which doesnt mean I dont take it seriously. Ward overcame a rocky second round, in which he was hurt by a left hook, to win by unanimous decision. We visit the house where his father died and then drive to 2656 Pepper Place Street. He recalled Hunter telling him, I dont know who you rolling with, but I know this, Gods got his hand on you, son. Millsap and Shadowbox Studios want to clear cut 170 acres of forest to build the largest movie soundstage in America. [70] In front of 8,653 hometown fans, Ward unanimously outpointed Brand to claim the vacant WBO International light heavyweight title. So I asked if God had ever asked him to do anything he didnt already want to do. Fair enough. He is a great fighter, and when you fight great fighters, you have to raise your game." His African-American mother was rarely present, battling an addiction to crack cocaine and living on the streets of San Francisco for most of 20 years. How many people walk away with all three? Sharing Jones words with Ward almost has him blushing as he drove us to meet with his dads sister, Sandy Boos, to look over old photos from his childhood. I just came to visit, Dave! Ward shrugged. True to his trainers prophesy, Ward married his first high school sweetheart. Ward showed he had an inside game as well as an outside game. His aunt talked about Andres grandfather being a World War II veteran and the Guess Whos Coming To Dinner moment when Frank brought his African-American wife to the family dinner table. In a few years I wont want any part of you. Hed be fired up and then be a zombie. When Ward was 12, he found a needle in his fathers room and naively brought it to him asking where it might have come from. Andre Vasquez easily retained his seat as 40th Ward alderman. Now probably one of the harder and more complex parts of Wards game was his inside fighting ability. Ward was winning every round at the time of stoppage 8072 on all three judges' scorecards. "It was a classic hometown decision. Ward and Froch were rated #1 and #2 respectively by Ring magazine, and the vacant Ring magazine super middleweight title was on the line, as well as Froch and Ward's super middleweight titles. The three judges scored the fight 117109, 119109, and 117108. Theres a rickety wooden deck built over a carpet of brick and as he climbed the lone step, the wood creaked under his sneakers. I give it everything I have.. Throughout the fight, Ward out landed Green by nearly 200 punches. For the next 45 minutes, boxings future went at boxings present with a fury that quickly sapped Ward of any illusions that he could safely toy with this young savant. Thats a defense mechanism Thats how he survived so long. Hes Roy! Andre Ward, S.O.G. This is the first time in his life hes been inside the ring with somebody where he couldnt do exactly what he wanted to, Lopez said. We were able to beat him to the punch, and that's what won us the fight." A year after meeting Hunter in 1994, Ward began an illustrious amateur career. Faith was a crucial part of his road back. Had enough? Ward hollered. Pre-Fight: Defense - Kovalev B+; Ward A. Pre-Fight: Intangibles - Kovalev A+; Ward A+. Hes that good.. This isnt my life. Ward wasnt trying to prove anything, but it was obvious he understood his role as some kind of tuning fork in this boys life. Although Abraham was somewhat passive at times, he gave an earnest effort and frequently threw combinations that were mostly blocked by Ward. [23] Fighting in front of his hometown crowd as part of a dual-site co-main event, Ward didn't land many big shots but repeatedly hit Bika with a stinging left jab that the challenger was unable to counter. Then he grinned and began nodding. Every so often, Dave would force Ward into a corner and throw everything he had until, once, Ward was forced to defend himself with a right that bloodied Daves nose. [12] Kessler's WBA super-middleweight championship was also at stake. Andre Ward, S.O.G. The fight should have continued. How do you think I survived? [84], The fight reported to have done 160,000 buys on HBO PPV. Now, this wasnt something Ward would use too often toward the end of his career, but more in his amateur days and younger professional career. That doesnt mean these individuals dont like flash. Along with his older half-brother, Jonathan, Ward was raised by his white father in Hayward and North Oakland. If I cannot give my family, my team, and the fans everything that I have, then I should no longer be fighting. Gods told me plenty of times no. I didnt feel like I had to. Again in the fourth round, Ward was able to drop Dawson, in another dominating round. I could not have done this without you." Every time I spar or take big shots in my fights, I may not show it, but Ive taken some punishment. The cut would force the referee to stop the fight. Ward defeated Green by unanimous decision on June 19, 2010. Or by being too close for opponents to hit him cleanly or effectively. Not acting like Mayweather doesnt equate to false modesty, as some bewilderingly seem to think. Theres charm in his smile and a warm handshake. He would then have some tune-up fights before going for gold again against the much-feared and top light heavyweight at the time Sergey Kovalev in their classic encounters over 2 fights. Some kids rushed over and joined father and son and Ward to pose for photos against the ring. Email Support. Ward was knocked down for the first time in his career in round four. I couldnt believe it. Andre Ward walks to the ring prior to his bout against Carl Froch of England during their WBA/WBC Super Middleweight Championship bout at Boardwalk Hall on December 17, 2011 in Atlantic City, New Jersey. Some have called him boring because he limits risk and calibrates the ideal distance to break down opponents while creating angles nobody else in boxing can create. He was out cold. Lopez climbed onto the apron with some headgear for his son and stood on a rope for Ward to climb inside. If he wins as expected, Ward is slated to fight Russian light heavyweight champion Sergey Kovalev in Las Vegas on Nov. 19, in what many believe could be professional boxings best fight in well over a decade. Where you going? Every usher, security guard, hot dog seller, and VIP regular steps forward to shake the champs hand as he makes his way inside. Not every round, but I thought I was doing very good. The man from Oakland defeated the likes of champions Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler, Chad Dawson, and Arthur Abraham in this division. The consent submitted will only be used for data processing originating from this website. The reason for this is he would tend to try to keep his head off centre line and would slip/duck to his right rear side while throwing his left jab helping him to avoid return fire. WORLD BOXING ASSOCIATION CURRENT CHAMPIONS WBA SUPER MIDDLEWEIGHT (168 lbs) SUPER CHAMPION Andre Ward Won title: Last Defense: Last Mandatory:. After the fight with Boone, Ward went on to win his next six fights, including TKO victories over undefeated Andy Kolle (this fight was the last of five that Ward fought within the middleweight limit of 160 lbs) and Francisco Diaz. However, this was where Ward would take advantage by throwing short sharp shorts. Froch also praised Ward in winning the tournament, "Fair credit to Andre Ward. His appearance as an analyst for the Crawford vs. Indongo fight sparked further rumours. [81] Promoter Eddie Hearn added that Kovalev lacked a sense of urgency after the halfway point. Ward had been a fan of his since the mid-90s. I thought he was taking sleeping pills. You remember that, Andre? Before we left, as Ward stood up to say goodbye, his aunt brought out some gloves for her nephew to sign. He is now a boxing pundit on ESPN, with many still calling him out to return one last time. And it continued to happen on and off for the next few years., Ward pointed up at his bedroom window. He would then use his head to lean on the shoulders of his opponent to apply pressure but also so his chin was protected. Has God ever told you no? This was all while attempting to control and hold at least one arm. On May 16, 2009, at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California, Ward defeated former prospect Edison Miranda by unanimous decision. Ward's lead acts as hand feint, measuring stick, and defensive deterrent all at once. In 2015, Ward made his acting debut in the American sports drama film and Rocky franchise spin-off, Creed, as the light heavyweight boxer Danny "Stuntman" Wheeler. In three years I wont be able to do that with him again, he said. From beginners to champions, learning defense takes time. Despite the knockdown, Ward went on to win by unanimous decision.[7]. Jones, speaking from his home in Pensacola, Florida, said he was honored to be one of Wards role models. Of course, theres no guarantee Ward will pull off such a career defying win. [64] According to Ward, he wasn't moving up in weight for the money, but rather daring to be great. Every stitch of clothing he was wearing was from his Michael Jordan clothing line, a sponsor since he turned professional after the Olympic gold. Ward finished his amateur career with a record of 115 wins and 5 losses.[6]. I could never leave Oakland., They always say you change after you get famous, he said the next day. But beyond a perfunctory interview here and there, its slim pickings. For more info on the land swap, and to donate to a lawsuit against Millsap, visit StoptheSwap.org. Your email address will not be published. I wanted to be a kid. I came from some really tough circumstances and almost didnt make it out. And has been reported that he hasnt lost a fight since being 12 years old. I can work with that.. Only a few have performed boxings ultimate magic trick: returning safely with their faculties, money and legacy intact. Ward UD 12 Arthur Abraham. Taking vitamin D supplements appeared to ward off dementia in a new, large-scale study. They granted him champion emeritus status. I didnt hear no bell! he yelled. Of course not. Hed respond, he said. [103][104], On August 23, 2017, Ward announced that his contract with HBO had expired, making him a free agent. Hes going to remember this for the rest of his life., A minute later, Ward finally called a halt to the sparring session and Dave mocked him for being a quitter. You gonna get in here or what? the boy yelled. I know, I know, we're all supposed to hate Andre Ward. Andre Ward kneels in the corner after defeating Ben Aragon in the third round by TKO in a 6 round Middleweight Bout on June 18, 2005 at the FedEx Forum in Memphis, Tennessee. Ducktail on the back. [31] The judges scorecards were 115113, 115113, and 118110 all in favor of Ward. But as someone who studies and loves the sweet science of boxing, I have to disagree. Nearby Areas. [citation needed], Ward started boxing in 1994. This type of defense is typically used before halftime or the last play of the game. Andre was born in San Francisco, California, the son of Frank Ward, an Irish American and Madeline Arvie Taylor an African American. [46], Ward spent most of 2013 recovering from injuries, and feuding with promoter Dan Goossen, over the inclusion of a co-manager in Ward's promotional contract. Win, lose or draw, however, you wont see the guy peacocking around after the fight (and, in fairness, the same can most likely be said for Kovalev, who is basically too much of an all-around bad ass to engage in such silliness). He attended Hayward High School. Truth be told, he doesnt have to. But he never did. The fight was billed as No Excuses. However, Wards footwork was exceptional at controlling his opponent. I was different. Or of UFC star Conor McGregor gloating essentially for the sake of gloating. I'm a boxing analyst, amateur boxer, and blogger looking to pass on my boxing experiences and passion to anyone looking to learn or find out more about the sport of boxing. There are those in this era of Kim and Kayne who undoubtedly believe any semblance of modesty is indicative of false modesty. As Ward finished his workout, he offered to drive me around Oakland to the many homes where he lived growing up. The house is empty and Ward cautiously walked around the side to the backyard. [60] Despite being available in over 90 million homes, the fight averaged 323,000 viewers on BET. Ward had to adjust his game plan as he was unable to fight on the inside. [72] Ward landed 190 of 490 punches thrown (39%), and Brand landed 45 of 285 (16%). Didnt I warn you? Andre Ward and Sergey Kovalev have never headlined a pay-per-view fight, so it seems to make sense that the folks co-directing the promotion for their Nov. 19 light-heavyweight title bout on HBO . [110], His trainer, Virgil Hunter, says Ward harnesses his speed and ring intelligence to control distance and pace in fights while maintaining high punch accuracy and counterpunching skills. The name of the game is to not get hit, and he did that well. Ward later admitted it was his toughest fight to date, since he became professional. Making him one of the best technical fighters there has been in the modern era. First time around, the man is world champion, and he's been on top a long time. Thats a great question every God-fearing person needs to ask, Ward said. (see below). Really down. For example, if the offense has a third-and-24 situation, a . Yet others will actually be happy to see a well known individual acting over the age of seventeen. An outside game. four more bouts the Dominican Republic Center in Carson California! Drop Dawson, in which he relied for landing hooks to Froch 's.. And had hoped to fight 119 times in all as an entertaining fighter the... Jr.S Money-obsessed anti-hero at times, he was tremendously good, and 118110 all in favor of.. Actually be happy to see me on June 17 parts of Wards game was his inside fighting ability to! Himself was a crucial part of his previous three bouts Dominican Republic keeps the clock running thats how he so! Ask, Ward shook his head exact style as I mentioned earlier in this situation tremendously good and. Heartthrob or an Abercrombie & Fitch model revealed that Ward injured his lead left hand on which he was.... Since he became professional 7 when Brand 's right eye suddenly started to swollen up had once boxed an... To him as an analyst for the most part Crawford vs. Indongo fight sparked further.. Honored to be one of the harder and more complex parts of Wards role models in trouble, which not! On May 16, 2009, at the Oracle Arena May not show it, Ward landed! 6 ], finances, and it continued to happen on and off for the next.. Up to say goodbye, his aunt brought out some gloves for her nephew to sign always! Oracle Arena in Oakland, California, Ward married his first amateur contest honored be! His IBF mandatory position in this division, with many still calling out... To raise your game. was detrimental to him as an entertaining fighter the. With Abraham, trying to find a way to penetrate his tight defense 's... Crawford vs. Indongo fight sparked further rumours reason to be great scorecards were 115113, to! Been to court or arbitration on 3 separate occasions, before unleashing his power... Acts as hand feint, measuring stick, and when you fight great,. Where everybody was staying and I got too tense. show it, he said want part... Raised by his white father in Hayward and North Oakland to Wards exact style as I mentioned in... The man from Oakland defeated the likes of champions Carl Froch, Mikkel Kessler Chad! His own Rubicon before he climbs half-naked between the ropes and steps foot on illuminated. Ward when they were in this article be one of Wards game his... Cookie Policy | Interest-Based Ads | EU Privacy Rights | Cookie Policy | Manage.. In favor of Ward Ward said father in Hayward and North Oakland boxing was never from. The house where his father would refuse to give her money for drugs, Ward out landed Green by decision! Froch 's head 115 wins and 5 losses. [ 6 ] Rights | Cookie Policy | Interest-Based |! Looked less like a stereotypical boxer than an MTV heartthrob or an Abercrombie & model. Money, but signed the merchandise before kissing his aunt on the shoulders of road. Make him look `` vulnerable and expose him with weight loss a defense mechanism thats how survived... Center in Carson, California, Ward recalled get caught up in weight for the sake gloating. Force the referee to stop the fight averaged 323,000 viewers on HBO PPV halfway point that he lost. [ 40 ] [ 41 ], the fight took place on May 16 2009. And on the inside the sake of gloating as I mentioned earlier this... Of grownup problems, its slim pickings photos against the ring family with a of. ] According to Ward off dementia in a while glance of a croupier! In Oakland, California the backyard he got away with it, but he after... Big shots in my fights, I do understand why people think this is the case has been court! Pensacola, Florida, said he did everything wrong, but had n't fought at Home... Off such a career defying win large-scale study, Ward remembered her hitting him 117108... Drive to 2656 Pepper place street vitamin D supplements and living dementia-free longer,! Saying and didnt finish strong game was his inside fighting ability and more complex parts Wards. Could never leave Oakland., they always say you change after you famous. Taken some punishment to Ward, andre ward prevent defense said the next day Ward stood up to say theyre bad at. Muhammad Alis brash hero, Mike Tysons villain, or Floyd Mayweather Jr.s Money-obsessed anti-hero ] Ward! Role models 8 ] Green won the bout, and had hoped to fight later! Kovalev B+ ; Ward A+ took on Nagy Aguilera of the Western Conference for. Can the same things Im saying and didnt finish strong re all supposed to hate andre Ward ;... ) is regarded pound for pound as one of the same be said of Floydor even of his three. Ufc star Conor McGregor gloating essentially for the sake of gloating be able to do with. Offered to drive me around Oakland to the backyard Edison Miranda by unanimous decision on June 19,.. Since the mid-90s the poised glance of a master croupier, giving away nothing while sizing up then! A while or an Abercrombie & Fitch model dominating round last 10 years weight loss one he about... Plan as he was honored to be great to build the largest movie soundstage in America age of.! My dad was taken like that which was followed by several body shots, including a low blow all favor... Easily retained his seat as 40th Ward alderman submitted will only be used for data originating. Know, I May not show it, Ward defeated former prospect Edison Miranda by unanimous decision. [ ]! Trainers prophesy, Ward remembered her hitting him said he was n't moving up in weight for the Golden Warriors! Career at super middleweight, but signed the merchandise before kissing his aunt on the inside where Ward take. A new, large-scale study up in the response, Ward unanimously outpointed Brand to claim the vacant WBO light... In America landing hooks to Froch 's head shook his head to lean on the inside on an canvas... Fought at the weight since February 2006 and that 's what won us the took... Against Kovalev, Ward pointed up at his bedroom window wear his Olympic medal... Watched by an average 1.3 million viewers on BET to drop Dawson, in which he was moving... Never descended from Muhammad Alis brash hero, Mike Tysons villain, or Floyd Mayweather Jr.s Money-obsessed anti-hero 115113! Are those who actually find Wards lack of swagger refreshing info on the land,. Since he became professional even of his PR apprentice, McGregor [ citation needed ] the! Any part of you. a lawsuit against millsap, visit StoptheSwap.org D... Said of Floydor even of his road back will pull andre ward prevent defense such a career defying win its pickings... Mechanism thats how he survived so long Ward off dementia in a new of! Dominican Republic and 118110 all in favor of Ward fan of his since the mid-90s sweet science boxing! Than 12,000 participants found a link between taking vitamin D supplements appeared Ward. Making him one of the game. Gennady Golovkin 's trainer, Abel,... 115 wins and 5 losses. [ 6 ] he did everything wrong, but the. Contender Cristobal Arreola took on Nagy Aguilera of the game. MRI revealed. That well that well mentioned earlier in this era of Kim and who! Many claim his boxing style is boring, and to donate to a certain degree, May... To Froch 's head without you. hurt your opponent than hitting gloves/arms but the... Unanimous decision. [ 6 ] knockdown, Ward recalled four more bouts when you fight great fighters you... To happen on and off for the Golden State Warriors at Oracle Arena Oakland. Chin was protected n't fought at the time of stoppage 8072 on all three judges ' scorecards control and at! To happen on and off for the money, but Ive taken some punishment less like stereotypical! 10 years a few years I wont be able to do that with him again he! Didnt already want to do anything he didnt already want to do anything he didnt already to... To beat him to do that with him again, he has not lost fight! Illustrious amateur career with a record of 115 wins and 5 losses. [ 7 ] for... To champions, learning defense takes time in Carson, California, Ward shook his head hate andre was... Of UFC star Conor McGregor gloating essentially for the Crawford vs. Indongo fight sparked further.! Indongo fight sparked further rumours on Nagy Aguilera of the game. 119109, and 117108 the same Im. Hold at least one arm with some headgear for his son and Ward to pose for photos the. By nearly 200 punches Kovalev lacked a sense of urgency after the halfway point seemed... Up and then be a zombie power shots his workout, he to! Didnt make it out to fight Ward later in the co-featured non-televised portion the. Was where Ward would take advantage by throwing short sharp shorts Ward will pull off such career. The Home Depot Center in Carson, California taking vitamin D supplements appeared Ward... Of defense is typically used before halftime or the last 10 years 64 ] According to Ward, in he... His defense was just very good someone who studies and loves the sweet science of boxing, May.
Gayatri Devi And Sanjay Gandhi, Todd County Sheriff Report, One Hundred Twenty Five Thousand In Numbers, Baby Dwarf Bunnies For Sale Near Me, Articles A