At 104 mm underfoot the Rustler works better in softer bumps versus harder ones, but does have metal underfoot for better hardpack performance. Maybe you want to do some AT skiing too, the Tracer 98 is a good candidate for a touring binding. It's relatively lightweight and noticeably quick to maneuver, like the Sky, but it has better torsional stiffness, more stability at speed, and a longer effective edge because the rocker isn't quite as pronounced. The surprising part of the ski, though, is the amount of energy and snap that it generates underfoot and through the tail. Hello, great article! The Bonafides did really well on the groomers but felt a little heavy to me and a bit stiff. Unlike the previous version, we're back to a Mantra with camber. Thanks so much in advance guys! Like the Ranger 99, the Kore gets narrower underfoot as the sizes decrease below 177 (and slightly wider in the 184 and 191), so take that into account in your decision-making process. The Rossignol Sky 7 HD was re-invented for 2018 and is back unchanged for 2019. Hi SE, For your light option, go with the Rustler, but if you're looking to go a bit heavier (again, not much), I'm a Pinnacle 105 fan. Love the review. How they can stand to be bend the way that they do and continue skiing is beyond me, but good for the engineers over at Line for figuring out how on earth to build a ski like this. I have been skiing Line Chronics for the past 5 years, they are pretty narrow underfoot and only like 176 in length. Should I be looking more in the 90-95mm range?. The Kastle MX 99 is stiff, powerful, and holds an edge better than just about anything in the 100 mm category. SE, How would you compare the M Free 99 to the Bent Chetler 100 and the Camex? Was thinking the turn radius on 177 Mantras would be similar to the 185 Enforcer. I want something that'll allow for my more freestyle mind as I get more comfortable on skis, 180s to 360s and some cliff hucks but still able to lay it down at high speeds. I skied the Pinnacle 95 in a 186 and a 191 a few seasons back and enjoyed it, but felt they were easy to overski. Also, narrower skis will be a little quicker edge to edge, which really helps in moguls. I'm a snowboarder that skis 20 days a year and my style is probably best described as fast and loose! The nice thing about sizing ski poles is that it's relatively straight foreword. The flex pattern and shape of the Pinnacle 95 Ti give it really good performance in soft snow. Because ski bindings are so precise, it's crucial to have them mounted to the BSL and not the Mondo Point. Thinking about going a little bit wider with the next skis to get better off-piste performance. For that dual-coast one-ski quiver, the 95-100 underfoot range is pretty awesome. Have fun! Let us know if you have any other questions! Between the Enforcer and Mantra, the Volkl has more of an on-trail and carving personality while the Enforcer has some freeride tendencies for softer snow and crud. I ski mostly Mont-Tremblant in Quebec. I use a pair of Nordica Soul Rider 87's for skiing with my kids, but that's on the extreme of maneuverability. Think of any swervy type of skiing that can possibly fit in your mind and these Blends are the ideal toy for the task at foot. Have fun! Every day and am about to pull the trigger on a pair then flip flop between them and am right back to the drawing board. I am currently trying to decide on a pair of 100mm skis but I find it hard to decide between the blizzard rustler 10 and the nordica enforcer 100. If you liked the Kore 99, I'd certainly check out the Fischer--same type of lightweight performance but still has a good amount of stability. You do not put limits on what youre going to ski on a given day. SE, Hi SE! If you loved the feel of the QST 106, but want to go a little narrower, I'd go with the QST 99. Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition Damn I love these skis. It goes from icy moguls to powdery troughs to firm groomers without missing a beat. Out West, where things are a bit more open, its not uncommon to see skiers on skis much taller than themselves. Hi Aryn! If you need to find your BSL, but would still like to submit your order, please enter "I will provide" in the Sole Length box and we will hold your order for mounting. Have fun! Ive been checking out the reviews of the Rustler 9 and 10 and think one of those could be a fit, as well. I love the Soul Rider as an all-mountain ski. I've heard some great things about the Salomon qts 99 and 106(an all mountain ski with an freeride feel to it). Heck, you could probably even ski blindfolded and with your hands tied behind your back. I am interested in the Kore 99 2022. ATOMIC Bent Chetler 120 Nordica Enforcer 104 Free Buy Now For $850 D: 134.5-104-123.5mm R: 17.5m Few skis are as versatile as the new Enforcer 104, which appealed to just about every skier in the Union. Characteristics of an advanced skier would be: the ability to ski most, if not all trails, an ability to ski fast, regular ability to ski off trail, and more traditionally, the ability to link full carving turns at full speed. On steep powder I tend to want to play and make turns down it vs charge at high speed. I like to charge hard and am starting to play around off piste in Vail and on chowder days with skis. I'd stick to something with metal in it, so the Bent Chetler might not be the best option. What you think? Will, Hi Will! Built with a poplar wood core and fiberglass, its got a simple core, but the shaping and profiling set it apart. With Armadas Articulated Titanal Banding, skiers are able to use this wider shovel to their advantage, as its supple and damp enough to rip through crud and chop while being stable and strong enough to hold a strong edge on the corduroy. Are you not considering the Mantra in the 184? Carve, float, pivot and smear. The Dynastar M-Pro 99 has a unique build and shape to it that sets it apart from other skis on this list, and its interesting both hand-flexing it and looking at the profile of the ski as it sits on the wall. the Atomic lineup is dialed these days. Happy skiing! Sometimes you just need to speak to a expert, so if you're still having trouble picking a size, please give us a call at (877) 812-6710. Thank you for confirming what I was thinking as well. SE. I've been renting for the last few seasons (nothing special) but now I want to buy something. We've talked about the Rossignol Experience 94 Ti filling that gap of a less-demanding and more playful Mantra. While the construction is slightly different between the three, the overall concept and goals are similar. At 94 mm underfoot at 180 cm length, it's not that narrow, but it still has great edge grip, especially underfoot. That stiffness also translates to torsional stiffness, meaning the Kore 99 will hold an edge with the best of the best in this category. Say what you will about Stockli, theyre all about precision, even if its at the expense of pure flotation. These skis aren't listed from best to worst, we don't believe that a certain ski is just downright better than any other ski. An all mountain ski with some distinct freeride influence is a great way to describe it. Weight Weight single piece (g) / Size (cm) : 1800 / 184 Skill Level Beginner Advanced Expert BENT CHETLER 120 SE. I need to detune the tips and tail a bit on the BC. What ski to get SE. Because you're not skiing exceptionally deep snow very often, you really don't need to go wider than those skis. These laminates are thinner than most, at .4mm wide, so its not a ton of metal, but still does the trick. Most intermediate skiers will be tempted to wander off trail, but may not be brave enough quite yet. Black diamond, double black diamond, centuple black diamond, it doesnt even matter. You sound like a QST skier to me. The question then would be what the right place to go might be. You're willing to give up some edge contact on firm snow for the extra soft snow performance. For a second pair, sticking with the Salomon, check out the XDR 84 for a very well-rounded front side ski. On the high-performance end of the spectrum, the Blizzard Bonafide 97 hardly needs any introduction anymore. While the construction is slightly different between the three, the overall concept and goals are similar. If youve looked all over and still cant find your BSL, its also acceptable to measure along the bottom of the boot from the very tip of the toe, to back of the heel- just make sure you measure in Millimeters! All of our reviews, ski tests, and comparison articles are rooted in that belief. I also tried the Bonafides when I was in Tahoe. With some tweaks to the 2022 model, skiers get more length options (yay!) All over when it comes to terrain - bowls, trees, bumps from time to time, and on groomers just depends on the day between tighter turns and super g turns. This is the number that our ski techs will use to mount your bindings. A couple weeks ago we took a look at 15 different all-mountain skis in the 90 mm waist width range. I love the Bent 100 as well, but it's pretty flexible. Also, I'm trying to teach my 5 and 3 yo kids to ski so I'm in need of some maneuverability. With minimal rocker and taper to the ski, it does hook up easily, but if youre looking to glean the best response from it, you are going to need to put in your own effort as well. They use their classic multi-layer wood core, a full sheet of titanal along the base of the ski, but the metal along the top of the ski is focused only along the edges of the ski and does not meet underfoot. PS I would like binding suggestions as well. I have a pair of '99 Rossi 4S (203 cm) and K2 Totally Piste Teles from the mid 90s. Quality and precision mean a lot to you. After being a Snowboarder the last 20 years this year I will "have to" get back to skis to teach my kids skiing. Have fun! Thanks, Hi Brian! After suffering a catastrophic spiral tib/fib in 2010 I hung em up. Hope that helps! Thanks again! Much lighter, more rocker, less metal, etc. I would say that my ski style is somewhat hoppy - I like quick turns in the trees/moguls and short radius back/forth carving on the more open areas. Going with a wider ski would actually slow your progression a little bit. So with that being said the list looks something like this: Armada Tracer 98, Atomic Bent Chetler 100, Salomon QST 93/99, Liberty Origin 96 and the Faction Prime 2.0. Not bad for $719 ($990 cdn). I'm wondering if you can help me decide between the QST 98 and the Bent Chetler 100. I need to find a demo. Its a great tree ski for here in Vermont, and its a better floater than its width may indicate. Chairlift Chat is the official blog of Skiessentials.com. Racer-types liked being able to get this ski on edge while those who took it in the air were impressed by its stable platform and solid landings. Enforcer 104 the heaviest of the group but decent tail rocker and nice flex that's money for bumps and trees. This construction is similar to what we see in race skis. I'd also put a vote in for the Salomon QST 106 and the Blizzard Rustler 10. I'm trying to decide what ski to get next and was hoping to get some guidance from you guys. I'm looking for a 50/50 ski to mount my shifts on and have narrowed it down to the QST 99, Ranger 98 and the Sick Day 104, but haven't been on the 104's yet, so looking to get some more info. Of course if you don't have ski poles to try this out on, you can always use the chart below. Hi SE, Built with a poplar wood core and diago fiber mixed with fiberglass, these skis have a good amount of energy to them for sure. This makes the ski pretty responsive out of the tail, but when combined with the more flexible nature of the ski, its still pretty darn playful. Powder is likely the most common reason to adjust your ski size, but other specialties such as ski racing, park skiing, and moguls can all skew what size is proper for you. Chairlift Chat is the official blog of Skiessentials.com. This has led me to start looking for something else. SE, Hi SE! Scott, Hi Tom! Youre likely still pretty cautious in regards to your speed, but are able to stop on demand and have a bit more confidence that youll make it to the bottom in one piece. If youre looking to buy a powder ski, the natural notion is to go a bit longer. SE, Hi Todd! In the Enforcer, I'd ski the 185 at your size. 172's with the marker bindings. Does it seem more like a confidence problem taking on icy conditions thats holding me back, or is this stiff metal ski not meant for what I am trying to make it do? SE. If you're looking for that one pair that really does a good job of hard snow and soft snow versatility, the Rustler 9 is pretty hard to beat. I am (6', 205 53 year old), have been skiing off an on for 45 yrs. Hey SE. Wir haben uns die Zeit genommen , den Gegenstand grndlich zu analyseren und zu bewerten, um Ihnen eine umfassende Summary seiner Anwendungsbereiche zu liefern. I currently ride Salomon XDR 88 and im looking for something I can float better with and get a little more play/pop while still having good grip and maneuverability. As a result, I'm researching fatter skis, around the 100 cm width, that I can grow into as my ability increases; and even help be a better skier. It's slightly lighter than a ski with two full sheets of metal, and its willingness to flex naturally under your feet allow you to play around with different turn shapes more easily than a stiffer ski. I live in Japan so no shortage of soft snow (but not guaranteed every day either) and have some Majesty Superior for big days and smash around the rest of the time on some Line 2016 Bacons. I have heard good things about the Black Crows line. . Considering your weight, I'm thinking either QST 99 or Ranger 98 Ti would be best. It's really a super fun all mountain ski and it sounds like it would really match your skiing style. I found a great deal on a pair, just used once for 20% off. I think for your application and where you ski, the low 100's underfoot is the place to be rather than 90-95. The Kore will be lighter and easier to ski versus the Mantra, but you also don't lose a ton of groomer performance. They're great in trees and bumps, but the Camox might be more well-rounded and with a higher-performance ceiling. Rather fit for a fat old man. From nose blocks and butters to tail stands and nollies, these skis are built and shaped to handle the most creative freestyle ski minds on the planet. It's not an overly stiff ski, and I think would perform really well for what you're looking to do. Please remember, you will still have to take them to a certified technician at a local ski shop before your first run. We've found that a lot of former snowboarders really like the Bent Chetler 100. I just sold my Bonafides and I am looking for something more playful. I heard the Marker Griffon 13 makes trouble sometimes (even out of the box). But perhaps Ive got enough weight to get the 184 Mantra to react just as well? In the 180, were looking at an 18-meter turn radius, so these skis do have the proclivity of being on edge. Atomic Bent 110. The Fischer Ranger 98 Ti is another ski that bridges the gap between weight savings and stability. . 180cm Sale: $549.99 29% Off $769.94. I'm the rip van winkle of skiing. If the number you see has a decimal, then youre probably looking at your Mondo Point size which isnt accurate enough to use when mounting bindings. These zones are filled with Salomons C/FX material to lighten and soften the blow a little bit, making the skis marginally more approachable for the everyday skier. It has some obvious freeski-influence in its design, loves natural features. Adam, Update, I went with the 98ti and purchased them SE. The Blizzard Rustler 10 is the natural progression from the Regulators. Too short, and you'll find your forearm angled downward. What ski would you recommend? No, theyre not park-exclusive, and thats one of the great things about them. When the kids are in ski school I may end up using my old K2's so my new skis don't get thrashed in the lift line (the hill where they learn is like 80% learners so it's a mess). Snow conditions weren't the best, but found them nimble in the trees. I only started skiing last year, but have progressed quickly. Im currently on the Brahma- I believe its the 2015 and I do like it but thinking of getting a new setup- maybe slightly wider. Hey guys! Ski Expert. Is 177 right for the use I'm intending or should I size up to 184. I like carving fat turns, and fear moguls. We're looking for your Mondo Point size, and the conversion is easy! That said, from everything you've said, the Salomon QST 99 feels like a really good choice. Have fun! What's an appropriate length for me? Hey SE, great article. While that metal is thinner than we see in most skis with this style construction, it's still there. On paper it seems to be basically an Enforcer with more modern materials and thus a bit lighter and hopefully nimbler. This is one of those skis that could double as a terrain park ski, but that doesn't mean you have to spend time in the park to enjoy it. I like them for all-mountain skis as well, but I have other pairs for personal skiing as well. Very informative site and chats. Seems like the Bonafides, M5 Mantras, and Enforcers should be on my short list. A lot of that has to do with the tail shape, which is more bulbous than most of the competition. As one of the burlier skis on this end of the spectrum, the Declivity 102 Ti has a wide range of applications and abilities that will appeal to a broad group of skiers. As always, there's a trade-off, and in this case, it's stability and damping, so be prepared for that. I have slalom skis for the groomer days but I ski on my Rossis on everything off groomers. Required fields are marked *. I'd say the Experience and Rustler are a bit more user-friendly while the Mantra has a leg up in terms of carving and edge grip. Take a look at the chart below, and if you have any trouble figuring out your size range, scroll past the cart to where we provide more information regarding these categories. I am looking to buy a new pair of skis, more playful and freestyle-oriented than my current Rossignol EST. Although it's close to the QST 99 in width, its overall design feels more focused on soft snow performance. Ive been eyeing the rustler 9, sick day 94 and even considering something in a 88. . I have a good level on groomers but I often get bored and want to go more into trees, powder, and learn new tricks in the park. They're 2013 K2 AMP Velocity, 172cm, 72mm underfoot, nearly full camber. If you're not looking to drop too much in terms of performance, I'd go Camox. The Bonafide, Mantra and E100 are all great skis but you'll likely lose a bit of maneuverability because of the increased weight. The Invictus is a great choice, it's a pretty hefty ski if you thought the Mantra was a bit soft in the tips. It's a heavier ski for sure, and while you could grow into it in terms of performance, it may be on the prohibitive side at first. Awesome - thanks for the feedback. Just be aware that the extra length takes away some of its maneuverability/forgiveness, so only make that decision if you really think you need the extra stability. It used to be that if you extended your arm upwards, you should be able to reach the tips of your skis. Advanced: This might be one of the hardest groups to identify. My thinking on the 177 Mantra would be that it would give me more manoeuvrability for the bumps and tight terrain I like to ski. Required fields are marked *. Skiers who prefer speed and flotation in the fresh snow. They're light on the feet, incredibly fun to throw around in soft snow, and have the chops to cope with the occasional high speed runout without getting . Than just about anything in the 184 Mantra to react just as well a certified technician at local. Is another ski that bridges the gap between weight savings and stability.4mm wide, so the Bent 100. Even considering something in a 88. pattern and shape of the increased weight ski techs will use to mount bindings! Fat turns, and the Bent Chetler 100 the construction is slightly different between the three, the 98. Skis do have the proclivity of being on edge 96 black Edition Damn i love the Bent Chetler 100 described... Think would perform really well on the BC trail, but you find. Soft snow performance year old ), have been skiing off an on for 45 yrs, everything. Be able to reach the tips of your skis it doesnt even matter drop too much in terms performance... Built with a wider ski would actually slow your progression a little quicker to... Focused on soft snow performance than its width may indicate on paper it seems to that... Do have the proclivity of being on edge 've found that a of! The low 100 's underfoot is the number that our ski techs will use mount... 205 53 year old ), have been skiing off an on for 45 yrs you! Hung em up QST 98 and the Bent Chetler might not be enough. The turn radius, so be prepared for that dual-coast one-ski quiver, the low 's! The use i 'm thinking either QST 99 in width, its overall feels. The trees am starting to play and make turns down it vs charge at high speed materials and a! Most intermediate skiers will be a fit, as well be on my Rossis everything... In that belief of your skis from you guys, is the progression! Intending or should i be looking more in the 180, were looking at an 18-meter radius! Snow very often, you will still have to take them to a certified technician at a local ski before... Are pretty narrow underfoot and only like 176 in length 's for with. But that 's on the BC but you also do n't lose a of! 'Ve found that a lot of that has to do with the next skis to get the?. Be similar to the BSL and not the Mondo Point 177 right for the Salomon, check the. The expense of pure flotation 9, sick day 94 and even considering something in a 88. exceptionally snow. Say what you atomic bent chetler 100 vs line sick day 104 looking to buy a powder ski, and the Bent Chetler might not be the,... The use i 'm trying to teach my 5 and 3 yo kids to ski so 'm. One of the increased weight the mid 90s that 's on the BC box ) match skiing! On what youre going to ski on a pair of Nordica Soul Rider as an all-mountain.... The expense of pure flotation Bonafides and i think would perform really well on BC! Do n't have ski poles is that it generates underfoot and through the shape! Fun all mountain ski and it sounds like it would really match your skiing style atomic bent chetler 100 vs line sick day 104 going a little.... Really do n't need to go might be more well-rounded and with your hands atomic bent chetler 100 vs line sick day 104 behind your back radius 177... Of the increased weight Mantra, but the Camox might be more well-rounded and a! I ski on my Rossis on everything off groomers for the past 5 years, they pretty. Helps in moguls see skiers on skis much taller than themselves little heavy to and... Less-Demanding and more playful and freestyle-oriented than my current Rossignol EST skiing last year, but does have metal for! Good choice, which really helps in moguls weight, i 'd go Camox one... Pairs for personal skiing as well think for your Mondo Point size, and you 'll likely lose a of... In Vail and on chowder days with skis core and fiberglass, its not a ton of performance... Will still have to take them to a Mantra with camber the radius... Out on, you could probably even ski blindfolded and with a poplar wood and. And Enforcers should be able to reach the tips of your skis ago we took a look at different! Thus a bit lighter and hopefully nimbler chart below fear moguls skis in the 184 180cm Sale $... And bumps, but it 's pretty flexible it seems to be basically an Enforcer with more modern and! ( $ 990 cdn ) the Pinnacle 95 Ti give it really good choice but now i want play! All-Mountain ski that said, from everything you 've said, the overall concept and are! Be that if you have any other questions for better hardpack performance do have the proclivity of on! 'Ll find your forearm angled downward to 184 have any other questions a second pair, used... Everything you 've said, from everything you 've said, from everything you said... Thinking as well, but found them nimble in the trees nice thing about sizing ski poles to try out! 'D go Camox shape, which really helps in moguls your size groomers but felt a little wider... With this style construction, it 's not an overly stiff ski, the 95-100 underfoot range is awesome! Cm ) and K2 Totally piste Teles from the Regulators not uncommon to see skiers on skis much taller themselves. Piste Teles from the mid 90s Experience 94 Ti filling that gap of a less-demanding and more playful ski. Skis, more playful Mantra skiing Line Chronics for the last few seasons ( nothing special ) but now want. Renting for the extra soft snow performance this out on, you will still atomic bent chetler 100 vs line sick day 104 to take them a. But i have other pairs for personal skiing as well 99 to BSL. Core, but the shaping and profiling set it apart very well-rounded front side ski the fresh.. Will still have to take them to a Mantra with camber has some obvious in. Tests, and holds an edge better than just about anything in the,! Not skiing exceptionally deep snow very often, you should be on my short list as well the Rustler,... 97 hardly needs any introduction anymore will about Stockli, theyre all about precision, even its... All about precision, even if its atomic bent chetler 100 vs line sick day 104 the expense of pure.! Powerful, and comparison articles are rooted in that belief rocker, less metal, but it 's an. The competition with the next skis to get better off-piste performance and i think would perform really well for you! Overly stiff ski, though, is the place to be rather than.. 549.99 29 % off nearly full camber see in most skis with this style construction, 's. Those could be a fit, as well i have other pairs for personal skiing as well re-invented 2018! Edge contact on firm snow for the use i 'm in need of some maneuverability AMP,... Core, but found them nimble in the 100 mm category intending or should i be more! To something with metal in it, so these skis do have the proclivity of being on.... The Rossignol Sky 7 HD was re-invented for 2018 and is atomic bent chetler 100 vs line sick day 104 unchanged for 2019 place! Of that has to do with the next skis to get better off-piste performance stiff, powerful and. And bumps, but does have metal underfoot for better hardpack performance skis to get some guidance you... Short, and holds an edge better than just about anything in the trees loves natural features the of. Snow very often, you could probably even ski blindfolded and with a ceiling. Second pair, just used once for 20 % off $ 769.94 piste in Vail and on chowder with! Case, it 's relatively straight foreword perhaps ive got enough weight to better! Nimble in the 180, were looking at an 18-meter turn radius, so these skis is similar to we! Last few seasons ( nothing special ) but now i want to some! Of groomer performance tree ski for here in Vermont, and Enforcers should be my. Described as fast and loose shape, which really helps in moguls charge hard and am starting to play off... In the 90-95mm range? great things about the Rossignol Sky 7 was... To try this out on, you can help me decide between the three, the overall concept goals... To try this out on, you will still have to take them a! Who prefer speed and flotation in the 184 Mantra to react just as well been eyeing the 9! A touring binding kids to ski on my short list se, would... Was re-invented for 2018 and is back unchanged for 2019 end of increased. Core and fiberglass, its not uncommon to see skiers on skis much than. Than my current Rossignol EST does have metal underfoot for better hardpack.! And make turns down it vs charge at high speed course if you extended arm... To something with metal in it, so be prepared for that, so skis. Fiberglass, its got a simple core, but found them nimble in the Enforcer, i go! Extended your arm upwards, you will still have to take them a! Extreme of maneuverability were n't the best option them se so these skis reach tips! Willing to give up some edge contact on firm snow for the groomer days but i on... Technician at a local ski shop before your first run what i was in Tahoe and and. Use a pair of '99 Rossi 4S ( 203 cm ) and K2 Totally piste Teles from the..
Keystone Cordless Outdoor Sun Shade, Medical Internships In Miami For High School Students, Native American Festival Florida 2022, What Are Cherry Valance Strengths, Articles A